Overwintering spring bulbs

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

I have this fall for spring blooming project going on. (I'm in zone 4b)

I have encountered a problem and I would like your opinion on this. I bought some bulbs already, they are crocus and tulip kaufmanniana (ancilla and fashion). I'm also planning to buy some Angelique tulips. Doing my homework I have found this information from dutch garden.

"Cold Protection & Cold Treatment
For proper flower formation, spring-blooming bulbs must be exposed to a minimum of 12 weeks of temperatures below 45 degrees F. If you are growing spring-blooming bulbs in containers, here are a few things to keep in mind:
If you live in an area of the country where winter temperatures regularly fall below 32 degrees F, (zones 2 through 5), you will need to protect your container-grown bulbs from freezing. They will do best when stored in a location that remains at 32 to 45 degrees F or for at least 12 weeks (longer is fine). You may find that you can provide these conditions in an attached garage or unheated basement."

here is the website: http://www.dutchgardens.com/gardening/content.asp?copy_id=5329

I have also read in some of the websites to bury the pot in the soil, the problem that I have is: I live in an apartment, I have no garden, nor garage or unheated basement.

I could probably put 1 or 2 pots in my refrigerator, but I would like to have more containers with these spring bulbs. I would prefer not to put the 2 pots in the refrigerator, because I'm afraid that they will be too close to the fruits and vegetables.

What I have is a small storage space with only one wall attached to another apartment, the door is not that insulated, the ceiling is a balcony. I have no idea how cold it gets in there on those days that the weather is -20- -30 C.

Any ideas on what can I do to provide the proper temperature for my spring bulbs. I would like to use this storage space or just leave the pots on the balcony (I live on the second floor). Or should I just plant them later.

Here is a picture of the storage space.

Thumbnail by rubriam
(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

You might be able to do something with insulation, but those temperatures are pretty far down there. I don't know much about bulbs, just container.

You might be able to do something with a space heater.

I know with seeds you can place a lot of them in the refrigerator without planting them, in a paper bag for instance. That should protect your food from the bulbs, and allow you to fit a lot more in.

I'll take a look at my books and see what I can find out about bulbs.

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Took a look at the PlantFile for tulipa kaufmanniana, it is hardy down to -40 degrees (C or F in this case) so it should be fine, I'd still mulch it well and get some type of insalation to be on the safe side. I would also try to find a covered area to protect it from frost. The other one I wasn't able to find specific enough to make a judgement. But, you can look up the plant and the bulb should be fine as long as it stays above the low tempature on the lowest hardy zone. Though ideally you want it to be a bit warmer than that.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Dont put them in the frigde, as it is several bulbs/onion/leeks you are in great risk of them getting mold.
You said the storageplase had one wall to an aparment! What I would do is.
Let the containersoil dry out (when its time to store) put the container up the the apartment facing wall and cover the container with insulation/ carpets/ blankets wathever you can find
DO NOT put your insulationmaterial between the container and the dep.wall.
That would get you temp above frezingpoint anything above -0 Celsius.
I stored tulips that way in my garage. and wet got -30 dgr C this winter

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I wonder if coolers would make good insulating storage containers for pots of bulbs. Either styrofoam or the plastic ones with lids. Just a thought.

I would'nt put them outside until you start seeing them grow in your area (in the ground). Spring cold spells could be tougher on potted bulbs and the warm days could warm the soil too fast (making them grow too fast and more suseptible to cold temps).

I'm certainly no expert, but I tried tulips (kaufmaniana), daffodils, hyacinths, and muscari in whiskey barrells cut in half. The barrells were on a deck, close to the house, with no covering. I'm in zone 6 and our winter was wet and somewhat mild. All the bulbs rotted, and many had sprouts in February. Not sure wich factor was the issue, but I've always wanted to try again. Good luck, Neal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.