Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Overwintering spring bulbs, 1 by rubriam

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rubriam

Subject: Overwintering spring bulbs

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Overwintering spring bulbs
rubriam wrote:
I have this fall for spring blooming project going on. (I'm in zone 4b)

I have encountered a problem and I would like your opinion on this. I bought some bulbs already, they are crocus and tulip kaufmanniana (ancilla and fashion). I'm also planning to buy some Angelique tulips. Doing my homework I have found this information from dutch garden.

"Cold Protection & Cold Treatment
For proper flower formation, spring-blooming bulbs must be exposed to a minimum of 12 weeks of temperatures below 45 degrees F. If you are growing spring-blooming bulbs in containers, here are a few things to keep in mind:
If you live in an area of the country where winter temperatures regularly fall below 32 degrees F, (zones 2 through 5), you will need to protect your container-grown bulbs from freezing. They will do best when stored in a location that remains at 32 to 45 degrees F or for at least 12 weeks (longer is fine). You may find that you can provide these conditions in an attached garage or unheated basement."

here is the website: http://www.dutchgardens.com/gardening/content.asp?copy_id=53...

I have also read in some of the websites to bury the pot in the soil, the problem that I have is: I live in an apartment, I have no garden, nor garage or unheated basement.

I could probably put 1 or 2 pots in my refrigerator, but I would like to have more containers with these spring bulbs. I would prefer not to put the 2 pots in the refrigerator, because I'm afraid that they will be too close to the fruits and vegetables.

What I have is a small storage space with only one wall attached to another apartment, the door is not that insulated, the ceiling is a balcony. I have no idea how cold it gets in there on those days that the weather is -20- -30 C.

Any ideas on what can I do to provide the proper temperature for my spring bulbs. I would like to use this storage space or just leave the pots on the balcony (I live on the second floor). Or should I just plant them later.

Here is a picture of the storage space.