Centrosemas

Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

I grew the Centrosemas (pictured at the beginning of this thread) last year and did not get any seeds, probably because I grew them in a container in my greenhouse. The Clitoria ternatea I grow this way and they always do well for me, but the Centrosemas don't. I had several blooms, but alas no good seed pods. They fell off before they could mature. I would dearly love to acquire some more seeds so I could grow it again. If anyone has any extras I'd be willing to work out a swap or even pay....hint-hint :)
Here's to hoping!!!
Dennis

PS; the photo is from last year plants

Thumbnail by mountainmeadowseeds
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Dennis-
Hint taken! lol...
Mine acted weird last season, too. I only got a few blooms, no seeds, and they never came back up.

I dug the same spot to put my NEW seedlings in it, and there were dozens of stringy tubers from the old centros, so they were still alive, just refused to come up out of the ground...

They've STILL not come up out of the ground...lol...

The ones in the picture are the seedlings I planted with the olds ones. They bloomed up a storm this year, and it looks like a pincushion from all the seedpods. Honey Bees and carpenter bees, were on it constantly...

If I remember correctly, you had some indigo seeds that I wanted last year, and we talked about naming the ipomoea "lutea", remember? ...but we never finished our trade.

Maybe I should browse your store again, and you should browse my ebay listings, and we can both "shope each other for free"? lol...

I'll save you some centros

-T

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okay, I'm really confused now. What's the difference between the Centrosemas and the Clitoria ternatea?? They look like the same to me.
:)

Donna-
They are similar in many ways, but still different species. They are both nitrogen fixing legumes/peas. And, they have similar shaped flowers.

The main differeces are that they come in different colors. The clitorea are white, and blue, with singles and doubles of both colors, while the centrosemas are predominantly lavender.

The centrosemas are a little hardier than the clitoreas. And, they have a bigger flower.

Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

seedpicker - It wouldn't surprise me if I forgot to send something I promised, lol. My mind runs around in circles most of the time and good intentions are only that "good intentions" ha! Anyway the only seeds for anything Indigo are from our bush "Indigo Bush" Amorpha fruticosa is that what you were referring to? Anyway I'm sorry for not sending you what we talked about if that is the case. Let's try it again, okay? I do remember how we agreed it was named Lutea, it kind of stuck, lol. At least noone else has stepped up to give it another name. Maybe we started a new species, lol. What is your eBay user name. I'll check you out and maybe we can have fun sending eachother seed for seed trades, what ya think? Do you have my address still?

PerennialGirl - I haven't figured out the differences yet for the exception of the color. I know the Centrosemas took longer season to grow and the Clitoria ternatea matured fast. Again I am not sure why they are different, but maybe Seedpicker will know maybe.
Dennis

Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

Seedpicker, we posted at the same time, lol. I knew you would know though ;)

Dennis-
Amorpha sounds right...I don't have your address, in fact, I don't think I ever had it...
Can you email it to me?
I'll return it with my ebay name and my address, also.
thanks!
-Taylor

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Taylor ((waving)) Your welcome!

Just stumbled onto this thread and wanted to add one thing about the difference between Clitoria and Centrosema. I had to identify the Butterfly Pea I found in the wild last year and found out the best way to identify the difference... The Clitoria have Ruffly wing-like inner petals around the stigma, and the Centrosema's petals in the same area are more oval and closed together. See picture...

Thumbnail by sweezel
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty, that looks like the Clitoria Mariana on the left.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

That it is! That is my picture on the left, but Jeff Beck's on the right.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

What do you think of the C. Mariana? Have you grown the C. Ternatea? Seems to me I read sometime in the past that its more of a bush then a vine? I could be wrong though, my brain is a sieve. LOL I tried to grow the Mariana once from seed I bought but had no luck. Always wondered what I missed.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

The Mariana is growing wild up in OK. I have not seen the C. Ternatea. The mariana mostly rambles across the ground up there, though it winds and climbs other plants on the "forest" floor easily too. There is also a wild one climbing my friend's homemade cedar tomato cage up there.

I tried to dig some up, but broke to many runners and, as Taylor can attest to, they did not make it. :(

Oh, but you sure TRIED for me!!, and I really appreciated it!

Did you save any of them for yourself? Are they still alive??
-T

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Nope, and I did not try again. I went down the hill to, but found the small amount of seeds and decided not to for now. I might attempt again later.

It is probably best to just collect the seeds, anyway, since they are so hard to find in nature, anyway...
;0)
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.