propagating cactus and sedum cuttings

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Please advise me on propagating cactus and sedum cuttings. Do I add sand to the potting mix? gravel? etc. Do I keep them humid? How long will it take? (rat tail, mouse tail, and sedum)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You might try the cactus and succulent forum, they would be the experts on your question.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/succulents/

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Growing cactus and succulents is nowhere near as difficult as some other cuttings. The first and most important thing is to allow a callus to form where you made the cut. Just leave the cut of a cactus exposed to the air until a scar (callus) has formed. If you don't do this, the cutting will rot. It isn't quite as important with a succulent but you will have more success. The growing medium can be several things as long as it is not wet or too fertile. Best results are with perlite, sand, bird gravel or commercial cactus mix. Clay isn't very good. It cakes up, holds too much moisture and can get anerobic. The important thing is it must be absolutely free draining. Rooting hormone is OK to use but not necessary. Watering is a problem for most people. Your natural instinct is to water, but with these cuttings that is a no no. If you must water, pour a small amount into the mix at the side or bottom water. Evaporation will carry enough moisture up to the cutting. Water should not touch the bottom of the cutting. Succulents will start sending out roots in a couple of days, at most a week. Cactus takes a lot longer, maybe even months to set a visible root, so be patient. Even then the root system won't be impressive, but it's enough for the cactus. Jessamine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.