Need Advice on Starting My Own Greenhouse

Hillsboro, KY(Zone 6a)

I am wanting to start my own greenhouse this year or next. How do I get started? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.......Arlinda

Knoxville, TN

hey It really depends on the spce you have and another
thing that really helped me was watching for about a week
to be able to get the best place the morning sun comes
thru.If I had to choose the morning sun would be myfirst choice.I am no expert,But we had a tiny hoop house and this
spring my hubby putup a 10x20 greenhouse,it's amazing to me
that now this is to small,and if God's willing and the old creek don't rise we will havebigger one this fall nd I hope
to keep it up and warm all winter long.we started with the plastic 6mm you get a most big stores,a;so if you don't have alot to spend at first you can come off of a porch ,garage
also when you are ready for shelves,We found olds panals
of garage doors that company's throw in a pile. Alot of these are wood and we cut them to fit our needs. luv nan

Agawam, MA

We just built a PVC/plastic greenhouse and now are wishing that we did something more permanent - I won't be able to use it in the winter and don't know where I'll put all those plants! I agree with herblady that morning sun is the best and try to keep it shaded from full S/SW sun.

Hillsboro, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much for your input. Where did you get your supplies for the greenhouse (PVC, etc.)?

Knoxville, TN

Cindy last jan.1 we kept a heater in ours to start our
plants it sure did stay warm.you might talk to one of the winter greenhouse people and see if you can at least cut
off part of it with plastic to keep your flowers.I know sandy SD she grew alotin her basement this year!!!Also
I have read from dave that keeping trash cans ,barrels
of water in it help keep it from freezing
luv nana

Agawam, MA

Arlinda - we bought a kit greenhouse from this site:

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/pvchouse.shtml

We are pretty happy with it other than heat retention. I had 2 people help me assemble it - it is a bit tedious.

Nan - THanks for the advice, I'll give it a try!

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

http://www.greenhousekit.com/gothicarch.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.