Morning Glorys 2005 #16

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

'Gray Smoke'

Very Unusual Colors for a MG.
This is only one of MANY beautiful 'Surprises' I have gotten his year.

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Emma - to reply to your question regarding if Ipomoea indica"Blue Dawn Flower" will come true from seed...They will come true relative to and depending on the parentage...if the plants are from the seed of a strain from e.g.,Southern CA,the resultant plants will tend to have a habit that is like the strain that they came from...but if you mix different strains together that come from different geographic areas,then the resultant offspring are going to be carrying genes from different strains and may show differences in form or flowering habits relative to the strains that are mixed together...I would like to get some of the type from Hawaii that has a lighter blue color than most with the semi-separated petals...

The Yellow from China could prove to be 'difficult' to bloom here...because they start to bloom in Southern Hunnan China during the late Winter and Early Spring there,so what the sum total of the weather conditions that trigger them to bloom in that area of China may be 'tricky' to reproduce those triggers here,but anybody who happens to get some that bloom easy(!) here(!) should share those...just a suggestion...

Here are some photos that plants from my seed are showing as far as the leaf and vine color and structure...they seem to be more of a trailer and require some 'guidance' to get them to climb...

A relatively young leaf showing the reddish coloration that gradually turns almost all green as the leaves mature...

Thumbnail by RON_CONVOLVULACEAE
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

A mature leave showing the basic color and shape along with the interesting silvery-white long fine hairs visible on the stem,with shorter hairs on the leaf surface...

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

A closer look at the long silvery-white hairs present on the stem and also showing the leaf veins on the underside of the leave colored a reddish color,similar to the color of the main vine stem...
I would like to hear from others growing this as of yet unidentified Chinese Yellow perennial Morning Glory, to know if your plants are showing the same characteristics...if you have any clear photos that show any differences,please do post the photos...

Mesilla Park, NM

Ron, I found my pack, purchased it from Seeds & More
http://www.andale.com/store?view=CAT_HOME&catId=1247942&parentCatId=-1&sid=172873&mode=1&pnum=4

It may be a different than yours, these are the leaves.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

leaf 2

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

leaf 3

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

leaf 4

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

last one, whole plant photo

Thumbnail by Gourd

Ron,
Here are a couple of shots of mine.
Got mine from Canada also.
Emma

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

This one shows back of leaf

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
Goodlettsville, TN(Zone 6a)

Ipomoea muelleri.

Poison Morning Glory? Does anyone know of a better common name?

Thumbnail by KevinTernes
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Gourd and Emma - I have looked very closely at enlargements of the pictures that you both posted along with the pictures on the Chinese site, matched with the plant that I have and I have no doubt that they are the same species...
I am glad to see that there are some interesting(!) varying characteristics associated with this species,and I thank you for posting your photos...
They all come from this source in China regardless of who they are redistributed by

http://natureproducts.net/Forest_Products/Convolvulaceae/morninggloryyellow.html

I had about 100 seeds from different distributors...the seeds were definitely the same species based on my analysis of the seeds hilium and coat ...and the color of the seeds varied from a light olive to an almost totally black...the plant I pictured here came from one of the darkest seeds in the entire lot...
The manner of distribution and type of long silvery-white hair on these plants is very characteristic to me and I don't recall having seen this same characteristic the way(!) it appears on these plants anywhere else ...
The plant I have pictured obviously has more pigmentation in the stem and leaves...also the degree of dissection in the fully mature leaves on mine is less accentuated,but the veination pattern is exactly the same... the less accentuated degree of dissection would be consistent with a plant that would be more cold tolerant,as higher degrees of dissection in leaves is associated with the ability to respire and dissipate heat better in hotter climates...the Hunnan area of China is a relatively large place with many areas of higher grounds along with contrasting valleys...those Chinese peasants are collecting seeds from hillsides at various elevations...;
I think that plants with more pigmentation are likely to produce a darker colored flower,than less pigmented plants...
The plants,are in my opinion the same species showing some different degrees of leaf dissection and varying pigmentation in the stems...The question in my mind as to the species has been answered to my satisfaction...
The question as to whether this species will bloom sufficiently here in the US and what differences may be present in the blooms remains to be answered...

Kevin - That is the only common name for Ipomoea muelleri that I know of off hand...there may be other common names in some of the native aboriginal languages...I had a complete hard drive failure on one of my drives and lost 'quite a bit' of data that is 'gone'...I would have to re-research the common names of that species again...You/We may have to use that common name until a less threatening one is located,but this species was/is used as a poison in some way for the natives to catch fish,so,that common name is actually appropriate...we enjoy the plants for their interesting looks...just remind people not to eat it...the name alone should tell anybody that...the bees won't mind...in fact there are species of bees in Africa and possibly Mexico,that collect their nectar exclusively from Ipomoea species...

Bravo, Bravo, Ron [Standing Ovation!]....
FINALLY 'some' information on the 'China Yellow'
Thank You!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Any ideas who this could be related to? Flower is darker than showing in picture. It came to me as blue silk which it obviously isn't.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

looks similar to blue split personality??????

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh,SHEESH!..another disappointment.Been waiting for Fujino Momo to bloom and today here is the first flower. NOT the large pale pink white rayed flower I expected.

Thumbnail by golgi
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

another huge lavender silk

Thumbnail by golgi
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

unnamed pink from Sunrise mix

Thumbnail by golgi
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Heian Akathuki.no flash,sunrise

Thumbnail by golgi
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Emma,check your e-mail,I replied

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

gail, how did you come by the seed of the "Lavender Silk"? Were they sent to you as something else? So sorry for your disappointment, I know I have had so many I don't even post anymore. I think I am only going to buy what is in an original package and hope that will be cut down a bit..............LOL.....I hope.

Luvs that could also be an underdeveloped "Indigo Feathers" I had one bloom that look somewhat like yours that was supposed to be "Indigo Feathers"... Course all the rest that bloomed on it looked like "Blue Denim" or a dark "Blue Star"
More of what we are calling "Cyndas Surprise".,,,,,,LOL

This message was edited Aug 29, 2005 7:34 AM

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Dee,I should have said 'lavender variation of Blue Silk'.I receieved the seeds for Blue Silk in a trade and both my daughter and I got this lavender variation in addition to the classic blue color.Looks like mine are setting seeds,so I will send you some if they do. Who knows if they will be lavender in the next generation!

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Akatsuki ni Murasaki

Thumbnail by golgi
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

and DEE! So glad to have you back!!

Gail,
Your 'Heian Akathuki' is dynamite. Love it!
Just set your ,Lavender Silk' as my Wallpaper and that is one shimmering bloom. Awesome! Oh please, me too, me too for seeds of this one. And, your 'Fuji no Momo' looks interesting.
I like it! And, me too please for seeds of your 'Akatsuki no Murasaki'. Ok, going to read my Dmail.

Hey Dee,
You ok there?
Any high winds from that monster storm coming off the Gulf?
We have a very windy day in Jacksonville - even that far away.
I feel so bad for the folks that are in the middle of that.
I need to listen to the news to catch up.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Just a purdy Blue Silk. I find the coloring is affected by the night temperatures.

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I think this is Keiyru? Tore while opening, but still pretty

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous blues, seedsower

Sandy,
OMG! Your Keiyru is AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!
Is the color a Teal or Turquoise?
AWESOME!
and as always, your 'Blue Silk' is stunning

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Emma, we are much more west of the Storm and I thought we my get rain but so far nothing..........not even a breeze.........But so many of our friends are in harms way and I hope we all take a moment and keep them in our hearts and our prayers.

I'm sitting in the house with my feet up enjoying my time off. Only 11 more days to "SURGURY"...........can't wait and then I can start my way back to normal......
and I am researching your and my "Toukan".........

Does anyone else have this one flowering? It was one I got thorugh Arlene's (Twinlakeschef) Co-Op and I'm sure I was not the only one who bought it.
Let us know.....
the photo here was a little older bloom and it had darken a bit from the time it opened, It opened more of a pink than the Lavender you see. But it is one that changes colores as the day progressed.

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

Dee,
your Lavender is Very Nice!

First bloom of another from my 2003 Original Plum Frost Seeds.
This one has a 'STAR'. Bloom is torn up a bit.

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Here is another first bloom today.
This is from my 2005 seeds this year that I grew out again.
'Hot Pink Frost' that grew back TRUE....originally from my PF Seeds

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Emma, I really like it when it opened. I ended up losing it to dog's reliving themselves in the pot...........LOL.....Didn't relized it until to late. But I did get a couple of seed pods off it and will try them again.

This is a wonderful Mix and I didn't even know I was getting it until they bloomed. I have since contacted the seller and she was kind enough to help me ID it and so far she said the Red in this "Star of India" Mix is.........."EHIGASA"...........She felt like it was one that was in a Sunsmiles Mix she grew the year before. I really like it and have tried to isolate it and have pure seed of it....

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

Dee,
Strange that you posted that very photo.
I need to write you with some questions anyways, and one was if that was EHIGASA. 'Great Minds Think Alike"....lol

Lost my ID marker on this one, so now that it has bloomed, I need to go back and figure out what it is. I'm sure it is one that I received From Japan. Anyone Know?

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Another First bloom from my original 2003 PF seeds.
This one is a 'Dark Mauve'

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

More blooms from seeds that came to me as 'Blue Blizzard'

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Another 'Blue Blizzard' [need to find out what this should be called].
This one has a Star

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Different Vine, Different Bloom 'Blue Blizzard' Star

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.