Camelia prop.

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

okay-dokey. My neighbor has a lovely white camelia that I would like to have also! So I snipped off a whole bunch of cutting from the new spring growth, stuck them in root hormone (following the packages directions closely) and set them in very loose seedling mix in a warm sunny window. I kept them moist too. It seemed like a recipe for success. Well, all their little leaves fell off and the stems shrivelled up and rotted (I held out a while hoping it wasn't too far gone).

So what have I done wrong? All I have been able to come up with is maybe I needed older growth cuttings. I really have no idea what I am doing.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi renwings,

I did about 10 flats of Camellia cuttings 2 years ago with dismal results. Here's a few pieces of information I've pulled from a few books I have:

Semi-hardwood, summer, 40-80 days, 50-80%. Timing. Late summer to Autumn as stems begin to harden. Wounding the base of each cutting usually encourages rooting. Cut just above a leaf bud, leave only 2 leaves and remove a sliver of bark on the side of the base of the cutting. Place cutting with leaves just above soil line (deep), use 2 fingers to secure cutting and mist with fungicidal solution. Keep cuttings partly shaded ontop of heating cables with high humidity or tent. Colour of wood is indicator - change from green to brown is optimum time. The younger the stock plant, the better the rooting success. 3000 - 8000 ppm IBA-talc - probably best to use powder #2.

The cuttings I did that did take were semi-hardwood and were on my little greenhouse floor with floor humidity and semi-shaded. They say 1/2 peatmoss & 1/2 perlite for soil in a flat and I noticed the best cuttings were constantly moist.

You're certainly not the only one who's had trouble with Camellia cuttings. If you think about it, the best Camellia plants seem to be on North sides of homes so the semi-shade seems to also be key. I hope this helps and good luck - don't give up! Mike

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow! No wonder I was having problems! I think the biggest duh for me, was the sun issue. I'll try again soon. Thank you for the info!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I made the same mistake. I noticed that the Camellias facing south always looked chlorotic and washed out. The ones on the north or in a corner nook always looked dark green and lush with good blooms. Some of my cutting flats were ontop of my tables and they didn't take at all. The ones under the table in more shade did slightly better. I'm hoping on doing some fishtail Camellia cuttings next week so I had been meaning to rifle through my books anyways. Good luck on them! Mike

Raleigh, NC

I live in raleigh nc and want to plant camellias..where can i buy them and when shoud i plant them? i am sure that i am intruding upon an existing forum..please direct me to the right place..and thank you for putting up with a new person.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi probono, Check out Camellia Forest Nursery http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/298/ as they seem to be the experts in your area. Good luck!

Raleigh, NC

Thank you so much, Growin.
I know it is a pain in the~@@~ to deal with 'new person' .. you are very kind to help me.
I will be going over to Chapel Hill this week.
I think the proper time to plant Camellias is the fall? And we would like to try Hydrangias, as well?
We will try to learn our way around the forum as quickly as possible, but I must thank you for helping us along the way.
Bob

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

hahaha. Bob, I'm also new. It's my pleasure helpin' out and anyone I've ever met from NC have been absolutely wonderful. I'd say planting the Camellia and Hydrangea now would be fine. Ask as much info from Camellia Forest as you can. I find Camellias in direct sun tend to look washed-out but with 1/2 sun look great. Enjoy your plant hunt expedition! Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.