Qustion about Spider Lily

Aiken, SC(Zone 8a)

A coworker posted on our company bulletin board he had several hundred Spider Lilies (red) to give away to the first person who responded. I expect these to be into mail to me real soon.

I don't know the first thing about these plants. Just wanted free bulbs for my garden. I'm hoping someone here can tell me a little about planting and care.

Thanks in advance

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Lucky you. I am happy for you.
Winnie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi, Daisy! Are these the ones? http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2109/index.html

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Daisy they are pretty well a care free plant. They really multiply fast. They will put out green leaves and stay green all winter and then in the spring the leaves will die back and the plant will remain dormant until late summer or early fall. Then it will put out a spike with a beautiful bloom. I have a few that have bloomed already but will have a lot blooming in Sept. I probably carried a hundred or so to a roundup last year.

Aiken, SC(Zone 8a)

Moby, I sure hope those are the ones.

So can I go ahead and plant them?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You bet!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I am waiting for mine to start popping up. Nothing so far. Some small impatiens seeded on top of them. Should I pull them out so the spider lilies get more light?
I heard that after transplanting, they don't like to be disturbed often and may take more than one year before blooming. Is this true?
What do you fertilize them with and how often?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't worry about the impatiens ~ the bloom stems can push through just about anything.

Georgiaredclay is the expert on the Spider Lilies. I grow Surprise Lilies / Naked Ladies in my zone. And no, they don't like to be disturbed. No fertilizer for mine. It's been a tough summer with unusually hot temps and little rain ~ I had only about half the blooms I did last year.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My Naked Ladies were sparse this year too. Good color--i just think the lack of rain hled them back. My Spider lilies didn't come up at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.