Firefly Magic

New Paris, OH

Last night, after a daylong rain they fire flies came out in force. Lighting up trees and the corn like christmas lights. Millions of 'em rising up from the fields and lawns.

I think they are the most magical creatures

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

As a child growing up in New Mexico we didn't have fire flies.
Now I live in Ohio and have them ever night my oldest Kaylee can't wait ecah eveing to catch a jar full before releasing before going to bed.
I could sit and watch them for hours or maybe they just cast a spell over me and make me watch, I am not sure.
Too bad we didn't have them growing up.
Mike

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

When our ancient Border Collie Molley was about a year old, we got her consort, Sid, and he got the puppy pen. the first night, we decided that Molley was trustworthy enough to leave untied. She came over to sleep on the porch and at about 11, Stan got up and took her to the barn and put her on the chain - she was trying to herd the fireflies, barking and posturing and trying to move them up and down the goldenrod and tall grass at the edge of the lawn.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

That is hysterical, Kathleen.

Agawam, MA

We love the fireflies - our yard is surrounded by deep woods and at this time of year the woods sparkle and twinkle!

New Paris, OH

That must of been harder than herding cats ;-)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Being a West Coast Gal I have never seen a firefly but DH is from the East and talks about them. I keep telling him there is no such thing, that the east coast people use them as their version of a snipe hunt to play tricks on visitors...Poor DH has spent the past 26 years trying to convince me they exist! LOL One of these days I may have to admit he's right....but not til he takes me east to see them for myself!:}

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

We use to love catching these when we were kids...but putting them in jars was simply not enough. Being that we were mean kids, I remember squishing them on each other's clothes, and we thought it was just the coolest thing b/c everytime you squished one it would make a "Glowing Spot"!! I know I know that was sooo mean of us to do that to the poor little things but I guess you could say I was normal. after all kids will be kids LOL and at the time we were just having fun But now I like watching my boys chase these things all over the yard...and I make them turn them loose before they come in for the night.

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Everybody;
I remember seeing fireflies a lot when I was a kid but not so much anymore, they seem to come one summer and not the next.
One night my Husband and I where taking a short cut home and decided to take this country road. We came around a bend in the road and out popped a deer. Well the lights from the car made it's eyes light up like a cat's eye's. Being startled we took it real slow the rest of the way , but I happened to look in the field where the deer had come from and saw what I thought where more deer because of the way it's eye's lite up. I think you know already it was a field full of fireflies, I've yet to live that one down.

Elyria, OH

Hi ! I noticed an overabundance of the little nite lites this year ! Does anyone know if the drought had something to do with their numbers ?

Doesnt anyone have a picture of these to share, never seen them.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Alan they are magical. They turn their 'lights' on and off and it looks like flickering stardust. I haven't seen many this year. Some around about a month ago but that's it. The cat's are disappointed also!!! Some info :-

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m1200/11_155/54296721/p1/article.jhtml

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.