Tiny yellow birds

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Lovely but tenacious!! Two of them were pecking at the kitchen window screen obviously trying to get at a plant on the window sill inside. I have not identified them yet. Anyone??

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

If they have black caps, they are goldfinches, also known as wild canaries, although no relation to a canary at all. If they are all yellow with a greeny/orangish cast, they are probably yellow warblers, although around here the warblers are very shy. i'll see if I can find you some photos.

http://www.nuthatch.birdnature.com/yellowbird.html
try this site - click on the bird name and you get a photo.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 4th 7:36 AM

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank for the great website - I have it bookmarked.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Kathleen - its the American goldfinch. What a great site!! I was about to go out and buy a book on American birds!! Thanks so much :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Still the question remains - why are they pecking at the window screens? Are they after bugs I wonder. They have now moved from the kitchen window to the bathroom and pecking holes in the screens. My DH is not happy!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

You might try taping some shiny mylar tape next to the windows for a few days; that shiny stuff scares many birds away. You can take a mylar balloon and cut it into strips or just buy a little packet of mylar ribbon. Good luck! Wait until you have woodpeckers pecking on your siding in the spring!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.