White Marigold seeds

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I was over to my dad's helping him weed, when I noticed he had a lovely white marigold. It is a cream color and just lovely. I immediately snatched up all the dried up flowers so that I could keep some seeds. My question is, will they bloom true to that color or will I get other colors from this seed? Does anyone know?
Thanks

Cindy

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Cindy, there are at least two factors to consider: Were there any other types of marigold planted in proximity? If so, they could have cross pollinated. Is this white marigold a hybrid (which it must be). If so, it an revert to one of the parent plants used to develop the seed, or to something in between, but not like the plant you collected seed from. On the other hand, it may come out looking like the parent plant.

I guess the point is that you never know. If you are planting the seeds for fun, just wait and see. If you are planting with a specific look in mind, you might want to purchase seed. If trading, let people know this is collected seed and may vary from the parent plant.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes Carol there were other colors of marigold in close proximity. Thanks for answering, it will be fun to see what comes from these seeds. I am not sure if they are hybrids. I do know that a flat of these were purchased from a nursery. They must have accidently put in a few plugs of this white one because all the others are yellow. Thanks for your input.

Cindy

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You're welcome, Cindy. Sometimes the surprise seed plants are the most fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.