Tecoma Stans

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Someone recently sent me Tecoma Stans seeds as an extra. How do you grow these?? They are a thin seed--do I surface sow or just poke it in the soil and water?? How long does it take to germinate?? Full sun or can it stand part shade (my yard is FULL of trees so the canopy just about covers every area!! waaa) Bonnie

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I have had great luck with tecoma stans seeds by using the moist paper towel in a baggie method. Usually they'll germinate in 2-3 days that way. I've never tried any other way because it works so well. I got my seeds from my mom's yard and she has it in full Houston heat. I bet it would be okay without full sun, just might not get as big. Hope this helps! Susanne

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Susanne, I have tried to germinate the seeds a few times in soiless soil but with not results.
One more question: Is Tecoma stans the same thing as yellow bells? Linda

Yes, I do believe they're the same. I've seen them called Texas yellow bells at nurseries around here. I hope this method works for you! (And if you need extra seeds to practice with, I have them coming out of my ears :) )

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks!! I will go right home and try some!! Bonnie

By the way, the person who sent these to me must have had tons too cause I have more than enough to practice on then pass on to others!! hehehe

lol coulda been passed on from me!

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Nope--these came from Brazil I think!! hehehe Guess you don't hold the corner on the market??!! hehehe But...coulda been you!! Bonnie

lol! You'll see once yours gets going (see the confidence I have in your seed starting ability ;) ) you will have no lack of seeds either! Good luck! Susanne

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

I hope you are right to be so confident!! There are numers of seeds that I cannot seem to get started such as the wonderful Princess Earring I got from seedpicker in TX. I cannot get them germinate PERIOD--she says she has no problem, but nothing happens when I do exactly what she says she does. I have traded her 2-3 times for seeds and tried and tried without any results whatsoever!!! But then maybe one day I will go outside where I have attempted with a couple and find the plants but doubtful!! hehehe I am just NO GOOD at some things!! Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.