Is this Clematis seed ready to be harvested?

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I was lucky enough to have several seeds develop on my clematis vine this year. I took this photo to see if anyone might know when I can/should be able to successfully harvest the seeds? I don't want to harvest too soon. But, I'm afraid if I wait too long, they will be blown away during a storm when they've reached maturity. I don't have too many, so I'm anxious to harvest them before they might disappear.

TIA!!

Thumbnail by Morph
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I couldn't find a good pic of a ripe Clematis seed in PlantFiles, so I looked elsewhere. I found this, hope it helps you!

http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/64189/1121166.html

8 miles from Athens, OH(Zone 6a)

Morph, what clematis is that? Great photo, by the way. Guess what I'll be looking for tonight???

Morristown, NJ(Zone 6a)

Morph - Wait a bit longer - The pod needs to turn brown. Seeds kinda look like a little seed with a feather - so it can catch the wind.
I have read you can keep the seed intact by cutting a piece of panthose and gently wrap and tie it to the pod, so it doesnt break free. Hope that helps you.

Are you in the address exchange? I have some cool looking clematis seeds for you.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Hheathrjoy! That link is awesome and answered my question ☺

Good luck, Darlene. I have found about 5 to 10 seeds from numerous blooms! It's funny that there can be sooooo many blooms and so few seeds. When I get more time, I'd like to understand the whys of that.

Moda, I should be in the address exchange though I don't get here as often as I'd like. Gardenwife had kept an address list. Is that what you are referring to as the address exchange? I'm so glad you mentioned the pantyhose trick ~ I'd not even thought of that but that's a great idea! I don't want these to fly away before I have a chance to get them. Can you tell I'm anxious ~ lol!

Thanks again to y'all!

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

OH MAN!
I have 2 boxes full of the fluffy stuff that you get just when the flower pedals are gone and they're full of the skinny lil black/brown colored things I thought were the seeds. For some very dumb reason, I figured those were the seeds much like collecting seeds from Cosmos flowers. NOW I see all these squirrelly looking things that are the actual seeds.
Man I'm so happy to have found out the truth now but....I wasted so much time and effort collecting, labeling and seperating all these things and I don't even know what all this fluffy is! Well it's compost now! LOL I'm just sick over this now as I watched many vaieties of clematis wither away and the seeds I needed to collect are now all gone. I feel like such a meathead! but I'm a much more educated meathead now.
Thanks so much to you all for this thread;)
JD

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Hmm, well I did the same thing this year JD.. I figured the same as you. What are those huge seeds supposed to float around using those thin feathery things? I'm blaming the plant for being intentionally confusing. Though it's forgiven right away because it's got such great flowers.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Well, JD, don't know if you're still around or not, but that's exactly what I experienced until I found the "real" seed. I waited and it turned brown. Then I harvested. But, even though it sprouted, I had a rough spring and it never made it into my garden :( This past fall very few seeds were to be found. I'm hoping with all the rain that I may have a good harvest from it this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.