Lily Folks.....

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I posted this in ID, but what do you think? I would sure like to know the name of these that I originally were calling Spiders.

Thumbnail by Sunshines2day
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Another pic......these flowers are not completely opened yet in 7a and have no foliage showing. It is possible that these bulbs were from Japan.

Thanks, Linda

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello, and welcome to the lily forum!

Your plant is Lycoris radiata. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2109/index.html

The lack of foliage at this time of year is how they've earned the names Surprise Lily and Naked Lady.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

That's it! Thanks.

Here's a pic fully open.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Very pretty pic!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I planted some but they didn't come up--yours are gorgeous!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks,
I certainly am enjoying them. My Japanese Mother's friend brought these bulbs back almost 5 years ago and gave me a small sack-full earlier this Spring. It seems they have done very well for her. She divided them and passed some along (my Mom didn't get any since she manages to kill everything except Christmas Cactus). I only have 10 stems, and usually don't cut any of my stuff, but these have been cut and carried to work with some Dahlia's. They seem to naturalize easily here in 7. After they produce foilage and die back I plan on putting them in the ground. There is a possibility that a half dozen will be traded.....so if someone is interested i'll share.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.