Lemon Eucalyptus

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Is anyone growing a Lemon Eucalyptus tree?
I bought mine in the herb section of a local nursery last year. It was sitting there with all the mints and basils. It smelled so good and I just had to have it. I never researched it to know that it would be a big tree someday. lol! I never dreamed it would grow so fast, be so tall, and be such a wimpy tree. It is about 14 feet tall right now and cannot support itself. Has to be staked. It is still pretty.
The problem is it's growing under a power line. These trees get to be 40 ft tall. They resent being moved so I can't put it somewhere else. Rooting cuttings is out of the question. There is no way to save this tree. So my question is if I cut it way back to try to control the growth rate will it grow a new top or will the tree die? Anybody ever try it before?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

according to the southern living garden book, in the old days they would chop/top these trees every year to keep them from getting to big and they always resprouted. i couldnt find a reference for lemon tho, im going to google it.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, its e. citriodora. you can find it on daves and google it also. it says its weak limbed and can grow 100'. also says you can lop it. in good soil with water it grows too fast and thats when you lop it from what i can tell. hope this helps. debi

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you Debi! That is wonderful terrific fantastic news!
100 ft tall! If left alone I'll betcha it would never get that tall here in the Florida winds and storms. Probably not even 40 ft.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you're welcome, glad to help. its a beautiful tree from the pictures i found. debi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.