Help! Trumpet vine seeds

Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

I heard you plant these in the fall...is this true? How are they started?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You can sow them outside as nature would or bring them inside, put them in a moist coffee filter, put that inside a sandwhich bag, and put them in the fridge for about 3 months. You can also sow them in soil and put them in the fridge but it takes up too much space. :)

Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the information!

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'd soak 'em in gasoline and then throw the whole lot of them into my Weber!

(sorta kidding ... I'm now strugging with the insanely prolific plant that is the Trumpet Vine. I've been dead heading mine to help reduce the chance of it seeding itself anywhere else around my property)

Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

ROFL...sorry! It must be our cold winters here but all of them I see come nowhere near being the monsters I hear people say they are. :)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Our naturalized/wild varieties along the roadsides in Virginia are often not the least bit impressive, no less scary. I have one that was store bought, and it has been awesomely prolific and has been blooming constantly since July. I have shoots that grow over a foot a day. I dropped this one in ground the summer before last as two, pencil thickness twigs. Last year's growth was okay, but not impressive, and it did not bloom. This year, however, things changed! :o)

It very well may be a combination of temperature and cultivar ... I know not enough to speak with any authority.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Bogweed! I'm with you! I have a yellow trumpet vine that seeds everywhere!
All summer long..I am pulling up vines!
It is a beautiful vine...growing up a pole that has a security light on it...and this year..has reached the very top!! Hubby will have to get the longgggggg ladder out to trim it back!
But I surely don't like the way it reseeds.

Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

Marcy..would you mind sending some yellow seeds this way? D-mail me please!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Breeze...you have dmail!

Ashland, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Marcy!!!! :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Marcy! I was thinking the same thing! I received a yellow one in a trade from Sweden but it did not make it through the winter. I never even got to see it bloom. Have you ever dug up any seedlings? I have this crazy idea to cover a pergola at my new place with different colors of flowering vines. I don't have a yellow yet. LOL I had Mme Galen and it bit it too. I am thinking about doing standards as well. I have seen some really cool looking Wisteria and Campsis weepers about 5 feet tall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.