Pruning espalier plum tree

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Andrew in Ottawa (Canada) here... I have an 8-year old Italian Prune Plum (dwarf) which I planted and have been pruning as an espalier. This mid-August photo shows the new growth following mid-summer pruning a few weeks ago.

I had numerous blossoms last year, which all failed to produce fruit; and no blooms this year. I have high hopes for 2006, but isn't that the way of all gardeners?

Any hints on final pre-winter pruning, feeding, etc. to promote fruiting spurs and plums for next year? We get frost here by November 1, snow in early December, sub-zero winter until March, leaf-out in early May, blooms in June, fruit in August. I'm in Zone 5 in Canada, located about 100 miles North of Lake Ontario. I have friends who grow these easily in the area.

Thumbnail by andycdn
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

You need 2 different prune plums to have fruit. Japanese plum will not fertilize prune plums. If anyone within 500 feet has a different prune plum than yours, you may not need one, but chances are there isn't one and that is probably why you didn't get fruit. No blooms would indicate that you might have pruned all the fruiting wood. Be sure to leave 2 or 3 buds from the current year's growth. I believe fruiting spurs on plum trees last only about 3 years. Then they have to be replaced. Ideally you should replace 1/3 every year.

Your last feeding should be earlier in the summer. Feeding now would promote tender new growth which wouldn't have time to mature before the first frost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.