Florida Plant ID Please

Lakeland, FL

My neighbor has this growing in her yard. We have no clue what it is? She wants to give me some so I need to know what it is. Thanks, Corky

Thumbnail by corky59

I believe that is Thunbergia erecta. A beautiful shrub that flowers all year round. I have 3 different colors. Easy low maintenance plant, other than some fertilizer and a little pruning to keep it in shape, i don't do much with it. I think you will be happy with this plant.

Lakeland, FL

Hi, Thanks. Is there a common name for it? Marilynne

Yes, King's Mantle.

Alva, FL(Zone 9b)

CORKY GET ME SOME STARTED TOO....BILLIE
DO THEY HAVE ANY SCENT? DOES IT VINE?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I planted some on a fence that looks like that. It has a vine type growth habit.
sidney

Lakeland, FL

yup it vines and bushes to. cork

It is not a Thunbersia. It is a Dipladenia which is a type of Mandevilla.
A Kings mantel is a bush and it has a purple flower. The Diplandenia is a nicer vine than the vine that is usually known as a Mandevilla in that it does not have such long vine runners. It also has shiny leaves as opposed to larger furrier leaves and it does not have as many fungal diseases as the Mandevilla.
Kings mantel is a bush and it has a purple flower. happy gardening

Jogrow2 please take a look at this link http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/61501/ and this is the Dipladenia/Mandevilla http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/4667/

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Ha! I bought one of these a few months ago from a mom-and-pop nursery. The owner called it a "Mexican Bluebell", but didn't know the botanical name. Nice to finally get an ID!

jnana, I stand to be corrected on the thunbergia. The Thunbergia we have around here with the common name "kings Mantle" is purple. But with the many varieties of thunbergia, and hundreds of common names there can be much confusion.
For instance,I have a plant I call "Lava Leaf". My son renamed it from its original common name, "Chicken Gizzard" because no body liked the C.G. name and would walk away when it was said. That is an Irisene by the way. Thankyou.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.