preventing sunburn

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

we have romas,there planted in a 15gal.container,i think,its really big anyway.and anyway,there are whiteish ovel spots,1 per tomatoe,they look like burns.
is there something we can do to prevent this?
thanks

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If it's sunscald,then your foliage must be too sparse to keep the fruit shaded.You might move the container somewhere that it dosen't get the hottest part of the day's sun.If that's not an option,you may want to rig some filtered shade somehow for your tomatoes.Some tomato varieties are more suseptable than others,but I've not had much trouble with romas and sunscald.After you get a spot on a tomato,you can't fix that one,but you can prevent it from happening to the rest of your crop.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

thanks melody,
so this is common with some tomatoes?is there something i can do to thicken the filage?nitrogen?then the fruit would suffer,no?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Nitrogen is an option you may want to try.Thinning the fruit may be a last resort too.This would put more energy into leaf production instead of trying to mature all of the fruit.As most romas are determinate,this would limit your harvest,but maybe you would be able to get some good tomatoes that way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.