Just to let you know...

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

julie,
Thanks, Bill (Fiancee aka Old Coot) designed it and made it for my B-Day one year.

Also agree with maxxy. It will take hold of you worse than any other addiction! LOL I tried to fight mine,,,the worse I fought the stronger my "Unnatural Obsession" became! LOL

Aurora, IL

My soon to be husband calls it the "Excorsist Syndrome".....you know, when you see "it", your head starts spinning around, well, you get the idea......lol....I can't explain it.....it's too deep!!!!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Kelly...that's one fine b'day gift in my book!

Maxxy...LOL I sure *do* get the idea. (Isn't it funny how my mind immediately picked up *that* scene? hehehe)

~julie~

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Yep,,,was a Great present! I think next year I will plant the thought of a waterfall and pond! LOL

Aurora, IL

BTW, Kelly, I just love the Trellis.....I WANT ONE...waaaaaaaah...pretty tallented that DH of yours!!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

maxxy,
He's a carpenter by trade. And a very meticulous one at that. He would be Happy (honestly) to make you one if you want to take a road trip. Aurora isn't that far. I grew up in Wheeling. Just let me know.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2005 9:11 AM

Aurora, IL

Thanks for the offer Kel, but, mine is also talented when it comes to working with wood.....he built the pergola over the patio....and just put up a fence last year....but, I showed him the pic of your trellis, and he said "I can make you one", it would look perfect as an addition to the gate entrance.....anyhoo, I just love it!

Aurora, IL

Oh, BTW GG, Jims hostas has a new one called "Old Coot", whimsical I thought, just thought I'd throw that in!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Awesome maxxy, Pays to participate in the Forums!!!! He also designed and made the mailbox surround. Pic is kind of dark but couldn't find the "good one".

Thanks for the heads up on old coot, I'll have to check that out,,,,He'ld really s**t if I got that one. LOL

This message was edited Aug 21, 2005 9:39 AM

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Aurora, IL

Too cool GG!!! I could still make it out....I like the color of the wood too....what do you have tucked underneath?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Stella's,,, I plan on changing them soon,,,not sure what I want to put there,,,used to have a couple clematis', but lost those after a few years,,,might try some again,,,,they were gorgeous there.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

GG: I printed out the picture of the trellis before our power went off five times so far today. I'm in the midst of planning a Japanese garden and I'd like just one panel that reminds me of the rising sun for an anchor in the garden. I'll have Jack look at it but, just in case, does OC have written plans?

We have the DH's (Jack) handiwork all over. Got the Obelisk made for a Mother's Day gift, many window boxes, many trellises, the 9'9" copper trellis, etc.

He just came in and we're asking if you could take a photo, with flash, of where the rays hit the top board to see how it's joined. Thanks so much. We both appreciate it and our garden will be all the lovlier because of you, the OC and my DH!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

This is the best I could do right now, flash wouldn't go off and not too sunny, I'll see this afternoon when sun gets around to get better one.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Another pic of the sides where the lattice goes into the other board, I don't know what you call it but he used some kind of thing on his circuler saw that makes wider cuts to make a groove in the side board so the lattice would go into it and not just butt up to it. No plans,,,all came out of his great imagination. Good luck with it and I'll try to get brighter pics this aft. when sun gets there.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

GG: Love your hosta addiction/obsession.....I know it well. After my trip to Savorys last week, I've started to get rather concerned about myself. Somebody tell me that the 'Exorcist Syndrome' is an OK thing. Your garden is so lovely, I just might have to drive on over there some day.....you aren't that far. Of course, I really should get those new additions planted first.

GG: You are a gem. Thank you so much for posting the photos.

He's out picking cucumbers and tomatoes again. There is no keeping up with them!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,No Problem, Don't have that problem this year,,,,Really cold and wet spring here and then I had some health stuff going on and couldn't get out there to plant,,,,,so,,,veggies never got in.

Don't really miss them much this year though,,,has given me more time for the perennial beds. We have raised beds for veggies and couldn't even get those ready. Pic shows some almost empty beds,,,had some sunflowers re-seed themselves. There were more but the little stinker "Mooshka" decided she just had to play with them. LOL

I do miss the tomatoes, and zucchini, cukes and lettuce. Next year though!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

"Old Coot"! LOL I *love* that! We had a flowering crab that my next door neighbor used to call the "Eric Tree". She said whenever it bloomed real heavy in the spring, Eric was going to be the CRAB all summer. hehehe (Eric is my DH...and he does tend to *look* crabby most of the time. :-D) I really MUST have 'the Old Coot'.

~julie~

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL, I really shouldn't call him that,,,he really is a great guy,,,just sometimes the old coot really fits,,,among other unmentionable names,,,Got him a sweatshirt that say's "Official Member of the **** and Moan About Everything Club",,,cause he does some of the time. LOL,,,Didn't know if he would wear it or not,,,but he loved it,,,Had it on one night when he went to the bar for a couple beers after work and I think he could have sold it 20 times,,,,everyone wanted one!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey Kelly! Got an extra one of those shirts? I'll buy it RIGHT NOW!
hehehe (TOO perfect! Especially when DH gets in the middle of something he didn't want to do anyway...Bee-itch and Moan. LOL)
BTW...my DH is one heck of guy too. Has to be...42 years is long time to put up with one person (me). BUT on the other hand, I've put up with a lot myself...*and* gotten more than a few 'perks' from his Handiness. ;-)

~julie~

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I have scoured the internet and have found some t-shirts with that saying,,,,I just may have to order some and sell them in the salon!

Perks are Always good,,, I swear sometimes I keep him around for his design and carpentry expertise. LMAO Just Joshin'

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

pirl,,,here are some more close ups. This one is standing on the front porch.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

One of the mini areas.

GG: Great photos, great - clean - neat interesting gardens. Thanks for the photos. Please post more often and show us your new hosta!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Just started a new thread in Hosta Forum,,,,,,,my splurge.

Great! Going there now.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm going too...if I can find it! :-)

~julie~

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Here's the link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/539084/ it's called
Amime Tachi Splurge

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Pirl asked about her hosta yesterday (way up the list). I was away for a bit and my you've been talking.

It was suggested that her hosta might be Clausa. If the flowers don't open, I would definitely go with that - certainly they struck me right away, but the leaves look quite different from those on my hostas which we decided was Clausa a few days ago -
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/538413/

Maybe we could see a close-up of Pirl's leaves.

Ann

It's dark out!

The nursery listing shows 'Clausa - Korean' - "shiny green leaves, deep purple flower, stoliniferous".

There must be five or six eyes in the pot and one escaping at the bottom. Oh, I'll be a good sport and go out and take a shot at it!

Thumbnail by pirl

Well I told you it's dark out!

Okay, here's a slightly better one.

Thumbnail by pirl
Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

pirl, your pic isn't clausa. If the blooms don't open, it could be Purple Lady Fingers. Mine is just getting ready to bloom, but I've had it many years & it is larger then your plant.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Purple Lady Fingers seems to have more of a ruffled edge to it than pirls does.

Thanks for the information. It didn't come with a label and looked so tiny and so pretty with the purple/red flowers that I bought it: honest, I didn't mean to buy it!

I never got back to the nursery to get the name. I just went by his nursery list and took a stab at it until I could go back and find out. I appreciate the help.

I did notice, while I was there, his Plantaginea that he got from me in a huge trade of my 365 of them for a store credit. His look small, not as shiny, flowers not as big: could that be because they're not in the earth?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a shot of one of my largest clumps of Plantaginea. The flowers are so fragrant! They are blooming a lot more today. This pic is a couple of weeks old.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

HATE IT when they don't have tags in them or the tag gets lost from in the garden. Have 2 now that were shared by a friend who until she met me didn't care what the names were. Now she wants me to come over and try to name all of hers. Thank God we have pretty much the same ones!

Being the absolutely Anal Retentive person that I am,,,,,(honestly),,,,,,I can't stand it when I don't know the names.

Anytime someone says "I have a hosta that I don't see in your garden, I'll bring you a piece",,,,,I always ask what the name is,,,,they never know! So I just smile and politely say that I really don't have room right now cause I have some coming to plant yet. LOL Or someone will see one of mine and say,,"I have that one". Again I smile and say "Oh, do you that's great".

Told my Mom that I got a few new hosta's, she said "Kel, you know I have a bunch along the side of the house. Why don't you just take some of those if you need more hostas".
Had to explain that those were the "regular" ones and I Need different types. LOL,,,,,she still doesn't get it,,,but then non Hosta-Holics usually don't.

Only Hosta-Holics know what I am talking about. LOL

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I know what you mean. I have given up trying to explain to people and just hang out on Dave's. Where birds of a feather fly together.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I also agree about the labelling. I pulled a marker out of a Hosta at Canadian Tire this summer and gave it to the cashier - it said Striptease and the plant clearly was NOT Striptease.

But when you got your first Hostas were you already hooked? I know I wasn't. I just thought a Hosta was a Hosta. LOL Little did I know I was starting on an obsession. It took me quite awhile to identify my first Hostas and I still question for whether the ID is correct some of them.

Anyway, back to Purple Lady Finger - I think you've got the right ID. And it's parentage includes Clausa. The pics above certainly fit the description in my Hosta Encyclopedia.

Looks like a neat little Hosta. Maybe I'll look for one. ;-)
Ann

Thanks for the help!

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I have Purple Lady Fingers in the ground & in a large pot. I've had it for 4 - 5 years.
Here is pic of one in the ground

Thumbnail by Hostanquilts

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.