"Orangeola"

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Anyone here growing them? I purchased two in large containers that I haven't yet planted. Have them in shade & keep them well watered, yet they still seem to be suffering from the intense heat we're having right now.

I purchased them from a wonderful local nursery that specializes in & sells pretty much nothing but Japanese Maples, so I assume they're pretty much acclimated to the climate here.

I'm hesitating on whether to try to keep them going in their containers until cooler weather hits, or try planting them out now.

Any thoughts?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

It would probably depend on whether they were1. EVER out in the sun or just under shade cloth 2. where and in what conditions (shade partial shade or full sun ) you plan on planting them. I planted out a large potted orgeola into full sun but waited til it was in the upper 80's of an evening ...it's since been in the mid 90's for two weeks and is doing fine except for the japanese beetles ;>)...It should be noted the one I purchased had been out in the sun for quite some time. if yours has not and you're planting full sun you may have burn on new growth and may want to wait for cooler weather ... with the above questions answered I'm sure one of us can give you a more definitive answer

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, I planted Orangeola in ground 6 weeks ago. My DM had JM in Charlotte, NC.
Another lady has laceleafs 40 miles south of Va border in Stokesdale,N.C. They were planted in dappled shade and very happy.
I would think their roots would be cooler in the ground and more likely to survive.
Since this nursery specializes in JMs, call and ask them for advice. Ask them if you take one to Florida if it will survive too?, for me. LOL
Let us know what they say.
sidney

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks guys. I shamefacedly admit that I'm a bit leery of calling Eastwoods Nurseries (where I bought the trees), as they are positively nuts about their stock & I purchased these beauties back in June. Like so many other things in life, time just got away from me.

The small Orangeola I purchased had been under shadecloth; the larger one was outside in hot direct sun & had been for some time. The couple of other "sale" seedlings - just basic Acer Palmatums - were also in direct sun, but are in tiny liner pots. The smaller of the 2 Orangeolas I was planning to containerize anyway, so that's not a problem & that tree still looks pretty good. The larger one, however, I was planning to use as a foundation shrub with an eastern exposure. The Acers were going to be planted outside of a horse pasture fenceline which is fairly open - pretty much north/south/west weather.

Everything was doing fine until this past week when the temps here have hit 100 every day with the heat index between 105 & 110. Pretty ugly. I've kept up with watering (maybe too well??), but obviously need to do something - either plant out or upgrade to large containers until early October when things start to cool off (a little at least).

Oh, & I highly recommend Eastwood Nurseries & left them a RAVE review on the Garden Watchdog here. Since they're only 30 minutes from me, I haven't had any shipping experience, but from what I understand, they ship everywhere & appear to be quite reasonable.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I'd put the big one in the ground. Morning sun okay, afternoon shade will pamper it best.
sidney

Westminster, MD(Zone 7b)

I have one in the ground. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade and is doing well. It's about 15" in height. I've had it for over a year. It's beautiful right now - lots of leaves. Lovely color. It should look terrific in the Autumn.

Good luck,

Ken

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.