rainbow round robin!

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I was reading the thread "color echoes" earlier today in the perennials forum ( http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/530057/ ) and I was thinking it would be a good idea to do a round robin organized by color! It would go down as follows: we collect 7 (or a multiple of seven if there's a lot of expressed interest) members and assign each a color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white). Each person packs an envelope with 3 or 4 packs of seeds that flower or fruit according to that member's color and sends it to the next person on the mailing list. We'll do this every week (?) unless an envelope gets lost or someone goes missing. This way once the robin has gone full circle everyone will have had each color to pick and choose from. Reply if you're interested with what color you'd like to claim and your e-mail. you can reply directly here or my dmail. thanks!

Colors available:
Red - NatureWalker (Robin)
Orange - Posie4U
Yellow - Woofens (Janis)
Green -
Blue - Sheran
Purple - Juli64 (Juli)
White - eileenmlamb (Eileen)
Pink - Naien (Scott)
Black

This message was edited Aug 23, 2005 11:13 AM

Thumbnail by naien
Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

I can do yellow Scott :) Have been waiting for a chance to do a round robin

LMK
Janis

you got it Janis :)

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Cool Thanks for the idea Scott :)
Janis

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

I would like to be in, can I pick white?

Eileen

Sure, if you'd like.

blue is my fav if still open.....

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I can do Red.

~* Robin (no funnies either)

Edited for bad eyesight.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2005 7:23 PM

Victorville, CA

I'm still a little unsure of how this one works but I'll give her a go. How's about purple. So now I pack 7 packets of the same purple flower. and then do the same for maybe three other kinds of purple flower. Is that right? Who do I send these too?
-Juli

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I will be glad to do orange.

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

Looks like you got Green Scott :)

Let us know how we are gonna do this

Janis

i just got home from vacation so i'll write up how we'll handle this later.

Okay, i'm back from a fantastic vacation in San Fran with family and am surprised to see this has filled up. i'm going to leave it up for a week before we actually start because if there's a lot more interest in this proir to today we can hold out for 14 people and do the same thing we're going to do just so that you only have to send a package every two weeks because there will be a person between each envelope holder in the mailing line. (i'll explain this better in the event it happens.)

for now, i'll explain the packing part better. You need to choose 3 or 4 baggies of seeds, each containing a different species of plant, each with the color flower or predominant foliage/fruit color that aligns with yours for that week. put those seeds in a bubble envelope and i'll d-mail everyone a list of names to print out/copy down that outlines the trade route for that color. when you recieve your envelope open it carefully and retape when sending it back out so we don't have to keep buying bubble envelopes. by the time your color comes back to you you will have recieved every color. each week you have a choice to remove some baggies from the color you have and replace them with seeds of a plant that matches the same color, or leave all of them in the envelope and send to the next person (if it's not your color, you don't like any of the seeds, etc.) a baggie should be about 10 or 15 seeds, more if you'd like, but no less. you cvan, of course, add extra baggies of that color if you wish, there's no rule against that.

now for some scenarios:

if i'm red I could put in some canna seeds with red foliage and yellow flowers, cannas with green foliage and red flowers, cannas with red foliage and red flowers, but not cannas with green foliage and ywllow flowers.

if i'm red i could put in some tomato seeds, some red-leaved ivy seeds, some pomegranate seeds, but not watermelon seeds (they're red on the inside and this RR is about "color echoes," the way you see the plants in your garden.)

now, doeseveryone prefer email or dmail? any questions? ;) should be add a black envelope?

scott

japanese bloodgrass at the tea garden in golden gate park.

Thumbnail by naien
Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

The Japanese bloodgrass is beautiful.

Victorville, CA

Yes a black one would be interesting, how about a burgundy one? maybe a pink one? Another interesting thought about a different robin would be a scented one like this. Lemon scented plants or some other smell.
Just a thought for the future. Thanks Scott for putting this together.
-Juli

okay, i'm adding a black and a pink... burgundys will go in red. I will definitely arrange a pack-by-scent robin when this one's finished.

Victorville, CA

U B 2 Kool!
-Juli

Scott,

When is this robin gonna take off?
Are you waiting for some people to harvest their seeds?

~* Robin

i was actually waiting for two other people to sign up for hte colors left, but if no ne does i suppose we should start soon... does everyone have their seeds for their color?

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Hey, may I join in? I'll take whatever color is left.

sure - green or black

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I'll take green. Can't think of anything that I have that's black right off hand.

ok everyone, i guess we'll just skip black. is this ready to be sent out next week?

The only 'Black' seeds I have right now are: Ornamental Millet, Black Leaf Millet, Pearl Millet 'Purple Majesty' (Pennisetum glaucum) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54760/index.html

Is this alright with everyone?

~* Robin

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds like we are ready, Scott!

that's gorgeous... hey i have one or two black seeds, too. who's up for sending a backwards robin with just the black seeds, i'll split the ones i have up into a few packages. but if you take one from the black one you have to replace it for the black one. i'd love to get some more black flowers. it makes sense, too, that that's the backwards robin, right?

ok, if we're ready let's send them off next week.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I read through the explanations above a few times but still have questions.

1. Since I have "green", does that mean that I'll need to have seeds for green flowers or can they be seeds for green things like peas, herbs, and veggies?

2. There are 8 people so far in this RR so will I need at least 8 packets of seeds?

3. When should I start sending mine out and to whom should I send them?

This is my first round robin so please bear with me.

quyen - flowers and vegetables both count. you only need three or four packets because every person that gets that packet will get to choose to take none or all or any number in between but the number you choose to start with will be the number total throughout the sending list, unless someone else has something they want to put in extra. i'll set up a list later tomorrow.

Hi Scott,

I forgot I have lots of Heirloom 'Black Beauty' eggplant seeds too.

I did a google search on 'Purple Majesty' (Pennisetum glaucum) and Thompson & Morgan sells it 10 seeds for $4.95! I got mine in a trade and they came true from seed. I will put at the least; 20 seeds for each trade for the "Backwards Black Robin." If anyone wants to do the "Backwards Black Robin." The same will be for the Heirloom 'Black Beauty' eggplant seeds.

Now; I'm working with one eye right now; so be patient with me.

~* Robin

This message was edited Sep 14, 2005 9:52 PM

Victorville, CA

What happened Robin?
-Juli

Well, I'll tell you then Juli. I was out in the garden again in the evening yesterday and the nozzle of the hose sprayer went crazy; so I had to take my netting off to see what went wrong. The water hose sprayed all over me, my clothes, sneakers and netting. Then another bug stung me in the right eye lid this time! This time I acted immediately and went to the ER! My boyfriend said it looked real scarey cause it blew up real fast. Within 45 minutes my right eye was completely closed. The allergic reaction was so fierce it traveled over to the left eye too with lighting speed. And it made the right side of my face numb. From the lower jaw to my forehead, and traveled to the left side too.

They gave me a very large dose of cortizone steriod, antibiotics and a large dose of benadryl. Which I will be taking more of at the same high doses; at home for a week.

First it happened to the left eye earlier this season, which left me with permanent eye damage; now it happened to the right eye. That's why I went to the ER really fast this time.

~* Robin

Ok, you've made it all exceedingly easy to organize this robin because you all have addresses in the exchange! I'll explain one more time for anyone that's confused.

I'll DMail you an address. This is the address that you will be sending to for the entirety of the robin (I organized the addresses roughly by geographic order). Write your color on a piece of paper and pack this in a bubble envelope with your seeds (3+ packs of different species of seed that all match the color you've chosen labeled with common name and botanical name if you have it) and address it to the person I DMailed to you. We'll do a check-in and once everyone confirmed we'll send out the envelopes. When you recieve your first envelope open it carefully so you can use that one to send your next set of seeds. In the envelope there will be a piece of paper with a color on it(sond familiar?). If you want to take any of the seeds out of the pack you must replace them with some seeds of a plant that match the color for that envelope. Once we get it started we will send out our envelopes every 2 weeks (?) or we can establish a check-in system so no one misses out on seeds. When you've taken all you want or decided you don't want any repack the seeds in the envelope and readdress it to your Robin Buddy.

Meanwhile i'll pack an envelope with one or two "black" seeds. I'll print out a list and send it with the seeds. It will travel in a reverse order from me back to me. When you recieve it if you have black seeds to replace the ones in the envelope you can, if not or you don't want any just send it to the next person on the list. be creative with this one. You could pack Pittosporum tenuifolium seeds (blackstem Pittosporum) or as Robin proposed black-fruited plants such as eggplants or blackberries. The only difference this will make is one of the weeks of the robin you will have two envelopes to send. if we're careful with the envelopes we can keep this to a 50 cent bi-weekly charge :).

any questions, comments, suggestions?

Pittosporum tenuifolium

Thumbnail by naien

p.s. robin, i can't believe that. i'd move out of any areas with militant bug forces : /

Victorville, CA

Gosh I'm so sorry Robin!
Sorry Scott! I should have read the thread before I replied to your email. I'm not as dumb as I made myself sound. Tee Hee!
-Juli

are we ready to send this?

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

yup!

Victorville, CA

Ok, I received my package of white seeds but I haven't sent out my purples yet. So I'll send purples on Monday then wait a few days and then send on the whites. Sound ok?
-Juli

hold off until everyone recieves their first set. check in when you get your seeds guys

Sorry Scott,

I didn't send mine out yet 'cause I went to visit my mom who is 75 years old (for the past 10 days.) They will be in the mail as of this Monday.

~* Robin

Victorville, CA

Thanks Scott I didn't realize everybody was having a hectic month too. Thanks guys misery always loves company:~) I'll send my purples on Monday then and wait on the "white package" till we're ready for the second time go round.
-Juli

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.