Butterfly Bush seeds - how?

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi. I know how to collect some of the seeds in my yard, but I am so not sure about my Butterfly bush. I have a few spires that are done blooming, but I just dont know when to or how to collect the seeds. And what do they look like, anyway? Thanks to all for your assistance!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I'd like to know that too.

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Look at what I found! A site that has all sorts of plants and what the seed pods and seeds look like.
http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedpods.html

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've started Butterfly Bushes inside before...the info on the site says outside/ winter...well, you can sprinkle the seeds on slightly damp potting mix and put in your fridge for 6 weeks...note to all...mark container clearly.."these are NOT brownies..do not eat"

After 6 weeks, take out of fridge and allow to come to room temp..I put under lights and the little plants will almost look like mold, they are so small. When they get big enough to handle, transfer to individual pots and grow just like anything else.

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

AnaM149 and defoecat,

Let the dry flower heads grow seed pods before you try to collect them. They will resemble brown rice, these are the pods. Eventually these will break open and the seeds are inside. They are very small and almost transparent with a small dark center. When they look like they will be close to that point, watch them vry closely, as they will all blow away! Then proceed as Melody describes. Good Luck, they are tiny, but make a robust plant in no time at all!! Legit

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Great information. Thanks
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.