Lemon tree with yellow leaves

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Does this mean I am watering too much or too little? I have got the tree about 1-1/2 month ago (very small)

I have Improved Meyers.

Thanks!

tmm

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Without a photo it's difficult to tell. Is it in a pot or in the ground? In the original pot or did you pot up to a bigger pot? How often do you water and for how long? Is there much clay in the soil? leaves can turn yellow for a variety of reasons. A close-up photo of the leaves would be very helpful.

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi bettydee,
I don't have my digi camera right now, but one tree is in ground and another in a pot. Some of the leaves are faintly yellow. I believe at the beginning I was giving too much water (every other day) so I am now giving it once a week for both in-ground and in the pot.

tmm

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

tmm,

Your suspicion about overwatering is probably correct. Until you become more familiar with your trees' water needs, it would be a good idea to test the top 3 - 4 inches of soil with your fingers, checking for dryness before watering. Because it is in a pot, your potted tree's watering needs will differ from the needs of the one in the ground. It usually needs watering more frequently.

Some yellowing and leaf drop is normal. I've enclosed a link to the University of Arizona. It had descriptions and photos of nutrient deficiency in citrus. It's a useful guide to the most common problems, other than watering, in growing citrus.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/crops/az1007/

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you bettydee.

I will check out the link. After reading your post, I put a finger in the pot and it was very very dry so I gave it tons of water. I will check the moistness of the soil 3-4 inches down like you said from now on. That was a great tip and I thank you!

tmm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.