What do you think about using a small food dehydrator ?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Depending on the seed type, I was considering using one of those small dehydrators to dry seed. Those little contraptions they make beef jerkey and fruit rolls. It is very humid here, and certain residents don't like me drying seeds in the house. My current method is on a wooden tray on the front porch - sundried. Even this produces grumbles from my DW.
I suppose I could use a light bulb and a fan if the dehydrator is too hot.
Thanks, Rj

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

don't know about the dehydrator, but I use several small replacement screens that you can buy for a little bit of nothing at Wal-Mart.. I have a few and use them for different seeds.. They also come in all sizes.. You can also stack many of them with just a little something in between them.. I use a brick on each side, this also holds them down.. Air flows thru nicely with even drying..

Larkie

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks! That's a great idea!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't use the dehydrator...the temps could get too high and kill the seeds...even though a dehydrator isn't very hot, it could get hot enough to destroy the seeds.

Nope, I'd just rely on good old air circulation....the screens are a great idea...that's the direction I'd go in.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay - thanks - screens and a fan it is! Rj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.