Seeds or cutting from old Crepe Myrtle?

Tyler, TX

I'd like to have a plant from this Crepe Myrtle that used to be in my grandfather's yard. Can anyone tell me how the best way to go about it would be?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I would Air Layer it. Here is the same question in another forum.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/535286/#new
Keep us posted.
sidney

Tyler, TX

Thank you for the tip. I'll watch the other thread.

Parrottsville, TN

i've had excellent luck propagating crepes by taking a cutting in the early spring, dipping it in rootone, then planting it in moist sand or potting soil. cover with plastic until it sprouts, then be patient. it can take 3 months or more for it to develop a good enough root system so it can be transplanted.

you can do this for any woody perennial.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

shirlygirly... My neighbors used to root crepe myrtles for me several years ago (also forsythia) and always had a bumper supply. All they did was take cuttings about 2 ft long, make a deep hole (at least a foot) and just insert the cuttings. They didn't even dig the hole but rather knocked a hole in the ground with a length of rebar, wallowed it around, pulled it out and stuck in the cutting.

They watered it in and left it.

We have a clayey soil here so perhaps that is why it worked so well, the clay really stayed moist. I suppose even if you have a more sandy soil you could do the same and just water them more often.

Shoe.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

I read a thread about using sponges for seed starting...so I got to thinking...what about a sponge for Air Layering????? I cut my sponge chunks about 1" x 1", wet them , cut a slit 1/2 way thru it...poured some root tone in the slit...went out, prepared the branches I want to root, wrapped them with the plastic and taped the plastic. I don't know if this will work or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try it.

Tyler, TX

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Shoe, I have a good place next to the house that stays moist all of the time. In fact it has moss growing around it. I'll have to give that one a try. Your neighbors might just have a green thumb though!

Shirley

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9b)

Shirleygirly

I live over close to the gulf of Mexico in Florida. In any case, when I want some CMs, I go and cut several limbs, trim a little, and shove them in the ground where I want them, water them, and forget about them. Batting pretty close to 100% as I have been doing this for several years with great success. They will pretty much root anywhere in my experience. I know this isn't a kosher method, but works fine for me.

JIM

Calistoga, CA

As no one mentioned seed I think I should. Because all propagation methods work for crepe myrtle you have your choice. Seeds start very readily with no pretreatment required, and the seeds are available as they hang on the tree for months. If you want to start many plants you might prefer seeds. Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.