Picking Squash

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

How do you know when to pick a Bon-Bon Squash? Someone told me that the squash should snap off easily when gently tugged, but mine is not coming off to the gentle pull, but it hasn't grown in a week or so - I REALLY don't want to let it rot! So far it's the only one to form.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

That is a buttercup type winter squash. I usually let Buttercups (usually Burgess strain) dry on the vine. If it just stopped growing I doubt that it is anywhere near mature. You can pick them when the stem is dry and hard and the skin is harder than your fingernail but I prefer to pick them when the vine begans dying and then cure them (cool dry place) for several weeks for maximum flavor.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, dear! Sounds like one of those "PATIENCE" things. NOT my strong suit! LOL! I will wait - thank you so much for the info. (The stem is till very fresh and pliant - guess I'll be waiting - and waiting.)

This is such a tough time of year. Everything is so "almost"...and I want to EAT! lol

Thanks again!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Relax! You are supposed to eat winter squash in the winter, Summer is for summer squash.

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

*chuckling at Dill's comment*

Umm... the 2.5 pound buttercup we harvested yesterday was pretty danged good, but we're leaving the rest to mature for a while longer... maybe... ;)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Sticking my tongue out and stomping my foot!

I've never had any luck with squash. First year I had the most gorgeous plants you've ever seen. My neighbors would stop and comment when they walked - I got 3 squash out of 4 plants. Last year they got a fungus during all of the rains and went from gorgeous wide leaves and huge flowers to mush in mere days. This year these one BIG bon-bon (nada mas on that plant), all male flowers on the Pink Banana so far, somethin' strange goin' on with my Kabocha and Jarrahdale.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2005 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

and this...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

...and this...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

...this...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oooooops! That was my NJ Giant! I meant to show this...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And here's a long shot of what's happening to the leaves...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And one that didn't make it!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And one that's not going to make it...

So now you see my concern...I fear that's going to be my only baby after starting out with 7 plants!!!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i feel for you. i started 11 hills of watermelon, got 2 plants. i have to rush to get the melon before something starts eating on it. today i found one completely hopllowed out. i am beginning to suspect tyhat box turtle i gave water to!

& i planted 8 hills of winter squash. i have managed to baby one stunted plant into living, & it is about to bloom, though it has less than 10 leaves on it so far.

but we keep planting cause we want something good to eat LOL

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Sometimes I drive by the Farm Stand and remember when I had free time and life was without the frustrations of bugs'n'critters'n'BER'n' catfacing'n'fungus'n'mostquito bites from late evening watering'n'storm damage'n'too much wind'n'too much rain'r'too little rain n/r... And when I didn't spend $10 a pound for the privilege of nutruring a big ole plant that decides to cut loose with a whopping 6 tomatoes or so!

Then I get home and spot a big fat tomato ripening on the vine and get this wonderful - "Hey! I grew that...from one itty bitty seed!" Then one bite into that awesome home grown flavor and I'm hooked for another year!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey Janice - Don't tell the spaghetti squash we ate just last week it was supposed to cure until October!! Yes, it was still spaghetti like but the outside sorta deflated when I baked it. It is a volunteer from the composter.

-Kim

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok - I'm totally envious! Spaghetti squash is a real favorite of mine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.