Porcelain vine berries

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This is the time of year I wait for this. I love the berries on the porcelain vine.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, they are exquisite, aren't they?! Mine hasn't started producing yet - wonder if it's because it's variagated? I started it from a cutting, so this is my first year with it. I don't know if it will even bloom this year, even though it's about 8' long.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

My varigated is loaded this year.. The berries are already blue. Today the cardinals were having a feast.

larkie

ottawa, Canada(Zone 5a)

How did you propagate your cutting? I have a variegated vine, which I love, and would like to add a couple more to the garden.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

They air layer really easy and quickly..

Larkie

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have also just cut off pieces and stuck em in rooting hormone and then in a pot and they have rooted just fine.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks lovely...I have never heard of or seen this vine before. I just love the berries! Looks like Christmas in August!!!

ottawa, Canada(Zone 5a)

Thanks Larkie and rylaff. I'll give both methods a try.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't grow this plant but I have heard it can be problematic. Here's a link:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/ambr1.htm

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

The varigated isn't. I live in south GA where just about everything is invasive, lol..my vine is about 5 years old and I've never even seen one that reseeded.. I have to root it for my friends that want one, it is however a vigorous grower, I cut mine to the ground every sping and it covers a 50 ft. fence section in no time, but it doesn't reseed and sprout all over.....Now the wild one is another story..

Larkie

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Wile mine grows very well, I have not had much problem containing it. It has done a great job of covering the fencing I wanted it to cover. Unlike the virginia creeper, you dont find it coming up all over the yard. However, it does need trimming on a regular basis to keep it in check.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Does anyone else grow Ampelopsis acontifolia ? It has a more lacy all green leaf and orange berries in the fall. It has a quieter presence than Porcelain Berry although the berries themselves are not as beautiful. Also you don't have to pick seedlings out of your garden all of the time.

Thumbnail by grikdog

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.