Buds on Cup & Saucer started from seeds

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I can't believe I have buds on my plant that I started from seeds in February. I can't wait for them to open up.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yep, I think these are really neat plants. Mine always waited to bloom right before frost - - but then, I didn't start mine inside in February!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I didn't even know for sure if it was going to bloom from seeds. It probably could have been blooming sooner if it was more in the sun.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I planted mine in Feb. but I got no buds! Mine is in part shade though...Maybe I better go look!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

No buds, but man, it's grown three feet since the last time I looked at it!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Do you have yours in a pot that you can move it into more sun?

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Yes, It's in a huge pot. I was going to, but I was waiting for a cooler day, before watering.

Plus, I have to unwind it from the neighboring plants!

This message was edited Aug 4, 2005 1:33 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Than you probably should just leave it were it is. With you having a longer growing season you should still get blooms. Did you check to see if you have any buds?

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I did, but there were none. I think I will move it, it is reaching for the light. I think that is why it is so big all of a sudden. The stems are long , and the leaves are not full like your photo, more sporadic along each stem. Looks healthy though!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Than it probably does need more sun. If you untwine without losing to much....go for it!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

It isn't too tangled yet! I can just pop the little tendrils off.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Yeah!!! Keep us posted.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Can't wait for the blooms.........Please send us more photos.
Kaleem

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I can't wait to. I'll keep you posted.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I also planted mine in Feb, and both the white and purple are blooming. I have them planted in full sun. Right now it is like two blooms at a time. I am hoping they will bloom more than this for me as we go into Fall.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Post a picture so we can see the blooms!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Mine have been blooming ,but are now at a stand still no blooms,and the 100* heat has now just about,burnt most of the foliage.
Will these bloom again in the fall ?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm not sure. I thought they just continuously bloomed all summer. Someone must know the answer for sure.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Donna , Lucky you girl, I'm still waiting on mine, started from seeds, about the same time, I have sadly neglected it, and it's gotten alot of dried leaves from the neglect, and just seems to be doing poorly. Yours however, looks wonderful.

I 'm still hoping for blooms , LOL

kathy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Kathy. Hurry up and water it and it should pick up!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I've been doing better at caring for it, I need to go fertilize it, gues I can do that tomorrow. Seems it's burning from direct sunlight, it's in the greenhouse but the trelis is by the front door and all the leaves are like their in full sun, 97 degrees worth. I don't think it likes it, leaves are turning maroon color and turning brown, I have a white one on the other end, and it's doing well, not brown or maroon, go figure, I've not neglected it though.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Maybe it needs more moisture around it like misting. Is your white one that looks kind of green?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes, my white is the one that is solid green, my purple one, is turning diff colors from the sun light. And it's a scorching hot sunlight too. It look s so sad, i'm ashamed of my self LOL. I so wanted pretty cup and saucer flowers, and it's almost up in the rafters now, and nothing yet. The white one was started alot later on that the purple one, it won't flower for quite a while, and it's in a small pot too , hoping I don't have to transplant it later on. I only grew them for the seeds.

kathy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Well I hope you get seeds so that I can trade with you...lol.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

me too

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okay! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for yah!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are my blooms, I only wish I would get more than one or two blooms at a time, because I love the flowers.

Thumbnail by jerodsmom
Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

And the Cobea 'Alba'

Thumbnail by jerodsmom
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Sigh. So Beautiful.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh my , i'm really jealous now, such lovely flowers.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful blooms, jerodsmom!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Finally one of my buds opened up. I'll take a better picture tomorrow.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Congratulations Donna!
You must be excited!

Is that the white one, or has yours just not turned purple,yet?
-T

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your foliage looks nice and lush too!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks! I still can't believe I got it to bloom from seeds. I'm not sure T. I think it's supposed to be the purple one, but I'll keep you posted.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is sooooooooooo pretty.
Kaleem

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Kaleem.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Here is what the bloom looks like today. It's cool how it changes colors as it matures.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Donna
Hi I just found you over here. These vines a sooo great!
Mine too is just going to start blooming. I was smarter this year and wound mine arount a bunch at the bottom before it started its climb to the moon.
I have mine in dappled sun in a pot on my deck facing south and it now has made the eaves and has gone along thoes too.
Wait till you smell yours as the blooms get to be the dark purple. Last year my deck was like a fragrance shop.
I too didn't know there was a white one. Thats neat to see!
My understanding for the setting of buds is the daylight hours changing for the fall and as it is a fall bloomer the bigger change in daylight the more buds it sets.
I think this vine is the best bang for your seed dollar if you don't mind waiting for fall. I also love the red color the leaves turn after a light frost.
It's great to see all the photos and I hope to post mine soon as it catches up to the bloomers.
Ann

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Ann!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.