Surprise Lilys

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

My Pink Surprise Lilys have just started to bloom. My start for these came from my Grandmother over thirty years ago.

Thumbnail by picabo
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

They are lovely, picabo! The fact that they came from your Grandmother, over 30 years ago, makes them a treasured gift that keeps on giving! I'm sure you have fond memories of her each time you see it bloom!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

That does make them even more Special.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's part of what is so fun about these Naked Ladies ~ so easy to share with family and friends.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

My reds should start blooming as soon as the pinks finish. I have shared these with friends for years. Always fun to see them blooming in someone yard that I have given them to.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

May I be on your list for next year's trades?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Would love to. Will be digging some up in early Sept.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Are those the same as amaryllis?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

kinda... or at least related

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

They're all in the Family Amaryllidaceae.
The red / orange colors are Lycoris radiata and are also known are Spider Lilies.

That's the bulk of my knowledge on those bulbs. :)

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

The ones you have there is what we call Surprise Lilies also. Some on here call them Spider Lilies. Mine has just stopped blooming. I also noticed the ones I call Spider Lilies putting our sprouts today. That is earlier than normal. I think because of all the rain. Those are really nice Picabo.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

We called them Spider and Surprise. It seems that my G.Mother usually referred to the pink as surprise and the smaller red as spider. It's been a long time it's hard to remember. I'll post a pic of the reds when they bloom. They are very delicate.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2005 10:25 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

picabo ~ I'm with your g-mom on her line of thinking.

Whether they're Surprise, Spider or just plain Nekkid, they're all pretty. The Sheik knows that ~ ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.