2,000 year old seed

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

I saw this on CBS news tonight. A 2,000 year old Judean date palm (previously extinct) seed has sprouted. More details at http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/12/MNGJND7G5T1.DTL

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

that was really riveting. i think that's one of he reasons i'm looking to study botany in the future.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

That is sooooooo cool!!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

That's so interesting, thank you for sharing it with us!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Amazing!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing . I really enjoyed reading this story.
Patti

Granbury, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks sooo much for a great story. Who would have ever thunk it! That was excellent reading.

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

How cool is that!?!?!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i was so deeply moved by this, i emailed the link to many friends. this is very fascinating. perhaps an interesting sign from science

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Wow. How did we miss that bit of news? Thank you so much!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

a friend (more knowlegeable than I) asked me how they expected to get adequate DNA info when they used T8? i am clueless, anyone care to chime in?

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

According to the article, T8 is a rooting hormone, yet I'm not sure how that would affect the chemical profile of the leaf they took for a sample. I don't know much about DNA testing, but we used to do gel electrophoresis of leaf tissue (looking for genetic markers) taken from sprayed tomatoes in the field or greenhouse without affecting our results. Maybe there's something else going on.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

hope so. my friend aid it would affect the hormone DNA, but maybe it would not change the others, the ones they are looking at. i think it is very fascinating that a previously extinct "tree of life" would be "resurrected". sure increases my faith.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, saw this quote, thought of this date palm seed, guess he was "mistaken" LOL:

"...when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another Heaven and another Earth must pass before such a one can be again."
-William Beebe

here's to modern science & dedicated propagators!

tf

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Very interesting - thanks for the link! ~ Suzi

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

My brother just came back from Israel bearing this wonderful news. I know people who work in that department, maybe when I go, I can arrange to take a peak?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.