Gorgeous Fuchia!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I got a gorgeous upright fuchia today from HD, sold as a "New Sensation Cape Fuchia." It has dark foliage and magenta flowers. My gardening books are all still packed since we recently moved-- any advice on how/where to plant it??

Thanks in advance,
Dana

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know a thing about Fuchsia, but if it is anything like the links in the plant files, it is beautiful! Someone is bound to speak up this morning.
Sheila
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/927/index.html

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Hmm, I looked online and found out that a Cape Fuchsia is different from the Fuchsia there on PlantFiles. I guess Cape Fuchsia is really a Phygelius species. I still want to make sure I plant it in the right place, though, if anyone has any suggestions.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

This is a Cape Fuchsia, and it is in Full Sun, and gets water only when its really necessary, which isn't often! They are really drought tolerant once established, and love the sun. Where are you thinking of planting it, in full sun??? Do you have a picture?? The plant on the left, with orange/salmon flowers, is the Phygelius. You probably knew that, but I have been confused at times by which plant I was supposed to be looking at...LOL :)

Let us know how your Cape Fuchsia does...details...:)
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have three different cape fuschias, phygeliuses or phygelii, and they are all in full sun and under the spread of fir trees which is quite dry. I have a pale yellow(Moonraker possibly), an orange one with yellow lips and it grows quite large, and a magenta color and this one stayes much smaller than the other two. Just a note they start quite easily from cuttings. I have some stuck now. They are really a showy plant and the orange one has been blooming here at least a couple of months.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much for your replies! My gardening books are still packed, and I had no idea where to plant it. I'm sure I can find a good sunny place for it. I'll get a picture-- it's so gorgeous with dark green foliage and magenta flowers. I couldn't go wrong for just $3! I'm glad they're easy to propagate, too-- at least for awhile this is my new favorite. :)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Jamie your cape fuchsia is very pretty. I've never seen it sold around here. Does it set seeds?
:) Donna

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi there Donna ~
Thank-you! I am not sure if it sets seed....I planted it as a fall sale find last year, so this is my first full season with it...I can let you know. If it does set, and it comes true from seed, do you want some?? Let me know!

Here is some info on the Cape Fuchsias, and some vendors that sell them...
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/66166

Jamie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

If they do, I would luv to trade you for some.
Thanks, Donna

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

They do really root easily at this time of year, Jamie.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Lenjo ~

I am going to try this weekend to start a couple cuttings. I looked the plant up in PlantFiles for a post, and it didn't say what type of cutting....soft, stem cuttings?? Semi-woody cuttings?? Let me know if you could, I was just going to take a couple different pieces, from differect places along the length of a stem....I hope it works, I would love to have more of this color.

I will let you know how it goes Donna, maybe we could trade for a start, instead of seeds!
Jamie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

We could try that...sure!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Jamie, I would take softwood probably, just pick an extra long stem where there is a bloom and peel off that bloom and stick in your hormone and your medium and keep wet. I think some of the cuttings my dd and I took about 2 weeks ago are already rooting. I took some pervoskia (russian sage) and it feels like it is rooted.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I never thought of trying to root Russian Sage. I should try that with mine.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Jamie,
What is the blue flower in the background of your pic? It is beautiful!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Jamie - I purchased several plants marked simply "Fuschia Hybrids" from Lowe's this past spring to add as upright accents to a couple of half-whiskey-barrel planters in nearly full shade.

They've performed fairly well (although definitely not as large as yours), & have the tubular salmon/orange flowers of yours. Hummingbirds love them.

Here's a pic of mine from when I first bought them in the spring - do you think this is the same plant that you have? I would love to identify them.

Thumbnail by Breezymeadow
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Janet S. - The blue flower in the pic is a shrub named Ceanothus 'Victoria'. There are dozens of different Ceanothus....from 4ft x 4ft....to 15ft tall at mature height! Most have beautiful blue flowers, with nice deep green, shiny foliage - mostly evergreen in my zone. Really wonderful shrubs!

I think you may have a different plant, although it is a very pretty one! :-) The flowers on my Cape fuchsia (Phygelius) are never closed at the ends like a true Fuchsia.....they are open ended and flared at the end. A true Fuchsia has flowers that are closed on the end...and then pop open showing the inside petals, often a different color...do your flowers do that?? In the pic above it seems to have closed flowers....maybe I just am not seeing it right....let me know! It is quite pretty though, a healthy little plant! Did it grow well this season?? This pic is of a true Fuchsia....'Double Otto'

Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

....and a close-up of the opened flower....

Thumbnail by jamie68
Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Jamie - those tubular buds did open up at the ends into little flared stars. The pic above was early spring before the buds opened.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Now that fall is coming & everything is sort of in a holding pattern waiting for that first frost - does anyone know if it might be worth it for me to dig my above mystery tubular fuschia out of it's tub into a pot & bring it indoors for the winter?

I have wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling windows in my living room with east, west, & southern exposures + skylights.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.