Jalapeno

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

How do I know when these are ready to pick? I am thinking that the bottom one is ready, but how do you know?

Thumbnail by noobiegardener
Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Are you sure it's a jalapeno? Doesn't look like one..Looks like a Marconi maybe..

Larkie

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes aren't Jalepeno peppers shorter and stubbier? They look a little like my Anaheim peppers.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL...well whatever they are. They were a mystery pepper because there was no sign on it when I bought it. It was in the planting tray of tomato plants that I bought. Guess it got misplaced.

So...what kind of peppers are they and when will they be ready to pick? Are they spicy?

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Probably a mild one judging by the leaf size..Can be eaten green or wait until it turns red, your choice...If marconi or Anaheim, it will be a great pepper for most any use..Salads, stuffed raw or stuffed and cooked, eat with veggies, chili relleno or whatever you like..

Larkie

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Larkie,
You can judge heat by leaf size? How does that work?

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

On most peppers, the smaller the leaf the hotter the pepper.. This one has a pretty good leaf size..

Larkie

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I had never made that connection. Thanks for the info.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

They look like Hungarian wax peppers or banana peppers, not jalapeno's though. Both are fairly mild with banana being the milder of the two.

Didn't know that about leaf size either! Thanks

-Kim

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Jalapenos in my experience are usually darker green too--those do look a bit long--try one now...they may be really good. Jalapeno, in my opinion, is not the best tasting pepper but that's probably because they are so common around here!
Debbie

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

tried on in my tuna salad...delish!!!!

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Recent pic of Jalapeno

(edit here)
Haha Debbie;
Common is rite-on!
-
I really like and use several type peppers but, tha jalapeno and cayenne are tha ones we dehydrate the most.
-
I pour both, depending on the meal on most of what I eat.
Jalapeno is a must lol.......

This message was edited Aug 4, 2005 3:46 PM

Thumbnail by heycharlie
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

If you want to know how hot a pepper will be and if you should use it for the dish or recipe you had in mind cut it open. Most people think the heat of a chili is in the seeds, this isn't the case. Capsaicinoids are in blisterlike sacs along the placenta (wall of the pepper) Alton Brown had a great special on peppers on the Food Network. I'll see can I find info on it.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/rc_fiery_foods/text/0,,FOOD_18537_23064,00.html

This is a pretty good link

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.