Monster Gourd

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

This is my "monster" swan neck gourd that has literally taken over the side of our shed and is heading towards claiming the entire corner of the yard. It was covering the whole window but the weight of it made it come down. This was a good thing since I was told the gourds won't get a curved "neck". It's taken only a month to get this big.

Thumbnail by Gardengirl1204
Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

a MONTH?! do you live near a toxic waste dump?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL! Believe me, when I got back from vacation last weekend, I couldn't believe it. And our rainfall has been very low so I'm having to water everything everyday.

My other gourd (egg gourd, I think) (below) also took off. When I left for vacation, the plant had a couple of vines laying right around the base of the plant and that was it. In fact I was wondering if it was ever going to grow. I come back to this mammoth vine that is crawling all over my grass, behind the shed and all the way down the length of the flowerbed. You can no longer see any of the other plants.

Thumbnail by Gardengirl1204
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Do Not,I repeat Do Not go out alone after dark,behind your shed!!!!
It is big enough to swallow you whole!!! LOL!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

LOLOLOL!!! Isn't that the truth!!!!!!

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

i'm so jealous you have no idea. if i could i would have beds devoted solely to cucurbits. all i have is a little trench on my side yard and sad-looking plants.

Thumbnail by naien
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

That thing is HUGE
has it set a lot of fruit?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I would have to repeat Tropicman's warning--you might want to carry a big rake for protection in the day! Very impressive!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I've grown 4 types of Gourds
longneck
birdhouse
apple gourd
basket
And to this day still have nightmares!!!
Just finished watching dvd Boogeyman!!!
So I might be a little jumpy tonite!!!!
LOL

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

LOLOL - Y'all are too funny! You think I would have learned from growing louffahs last year! Both vines have set tons of fruit so I should be swimming w/ the swans hatching some eggs! My husband hasn't seen that I've had to move the riding lawn mower out from behind the shed so it wouldn't be blocked in on both sides by both vines. He would have had to wait until winter to cut the grass cause he sure as heck isn't going to run over my baby monsters! He's going to have a cow when he sees how it has grown!

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Can I get seeds from your monster gourds when you have them?? I wish mine had grown this year but we just moved here and I had no idea the soil is soooo poor!!! Will have to amend severely next year!!! Bonnie

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Sure Bonnie. I will make a note on my calendar but send me a reminder in late fall. I'm assuming they all dry out like the louffahs last year so it may not be until winter.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I'm growing louffahs,vine is almost 15ft long and no flowers,how big to they to get before flowers set on?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Is it just one vine or multiple ones? My set flowers once it started growing across the fence - 3' high. Give it a shot of mircle grow - can't hurt!

BEWARE! Once it does take off, it takes OVER everything! I had it growing up and over my neighbor's burberry bushes (which are about 8' tall!)! You just have to keep pulling the vines back to where you want it to grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.