bleeding heart vine propigation methods

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

do you take cuttings and root, will that work? I'd like to try it on my vine, wanted to get a few opinions first

kathy

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

The best luck I have had is to air layer them..sorta
I make a slight cut in a branch but not all the way through it then I stick it in moist soil and put a rock on top of it at the bend and leave it til I see new growth...
this is the only way I can get my species to cuttings to work.
If it is a regular bleeding heart vine or butterfly then just regular cuttings seem to work fine for me.

Hope that helps,
MsC

Edited cause I can't type for phooey!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2005 10:28 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yep, helps alot, thanks

kathy

Arlington, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Kathy--

Assuming we're talking about the same plant (Bleeding Heart Vine, Glory Bower, Clerodendrum thomsoniae), I've had terrific results just sticking cuttings into water. My Bleeding Heart Vine lives on a sunny balcony in summer and a southwest room in winter. Both places it grows and blooms like mad, so I'm constantly having to prune it. I hate to throw away the trimmings and once plopped a handful of stems into a vase simply to delay trashing them. Within a week the "arrangement" began to root, and even bloomed a month or so later despite my neglecting to pot it up. We do have reverse osmosis water, but I don't think that's an imperative for rooting. Rootone's usually a good idea, but hasn't proved essential for me either.

This thing's gorgeous, so best of luck to you however you proceed!

--Jeanine

Thumbnail by redmonkey
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

HI jeanine, We have reverse osmosis water too. That is really good to know about rooting it in water, It's growing in the greenhouse right now, and maybe that's why it's only bloomed one time when it was alot smaller, though it's grown 5 times it's size now, still no blooms on it yet. Maybe i need to stick it in the sun outside for blooms. Inever did try to propigate this yet, but now I'll try since it seems easy enough.

oh yes, we are talking about the same plant too

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Kathy. I was given a large pot of this last fall and had no idea how to care for it. By December the leaves were yellowing and it seemed to be going dormant, so I trimmed it and stuck the trimmings in the soil. In January the mother and babies all started growing and bloomed through spring. The light is'nt great in that room, so I was suprised. Now they're outside and blooming again. Not sure what I did right, but hope that helps, Neal.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes it does Neal, thanks for the help. I did put mine outside and hopefully It will bloom again, it's grown by leaps and bounds now and if it doesn't bloom this time of year, it definitely will in the spring time. I took some cuttings and stuck them in water too.

kathy

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Kathy, would those be hardy for you? Not even a consideration for me, but I don't know how far you can push it with these. The cuttings I rooted in the winter are blooming now to. Okay, I can see it happening, now I'm going to want to get into clerodendron(sp?) vines. I've made the mistake of looking at the wonderful pics posted of the blue butterfly type. Are they as easy to care for as the bleeding heart vine? Anyone?

Neal

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I hope someone comes along and answers, I don't know the answer to that one though. I 'm not sure if it's hardy here or not, I never did find that out. I plan on keeping it in the greenhouse this winter though, just in case LOL

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.