Jnana!!!!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Val,

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning. Went to feed the fish and found this new flower coming out of the pond.

Let me say this, the "non-blooming" sensitive vine I gave you? I had that in my other pond and never saw a flower, so didn't think it bloomed. Well, it does! and this is what it looks like. I checked out the rest of the vines and found there were buds all over the place. I am so excited!!!!!!

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here's a photo that shows both vine types and both flowers.

Check out the ones you have....do they have any buds yet? We need to get some more of these to you before they finish their cycle.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Val,

I'm back. I've been looking around trying to find a "Hybrid" name for these 2 sensitive vines. All I can come up with are Neptunia Aquatica, either giant leaf or dwarf leaf.

I wanted to post pics of both of these vines in the plant files but wanted to get more info and I am at a dead end. The Dania Water Gardens store where I bought these can't even tell me.

What do you think I should do, post them or not?

Molly

Molly, I just saw this post. That's a beautiful flower, I'm so excited. I think you should post them. I'm not familiar at all with most water plants, but I'm going to do a search and I'll let you know.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:03 AM

I think I will and when I take the next cuttings for you, they will have buds on them.

Molly

Molly, I found the exact one that you have in the picture. It's called Neptunia oleraceae, same foliage and same flower. The common name was listed as Sensitive plant. Then I found one that has a flatter yellow flower also called sensitive plant with the botanical name of Aeschynomene fluitans. That one looks a lot like the cutting you gave me.

I think you should enter them, here is the link were I found the names
http://store.watergardenweb.com/sensitiveplant.html and
http://www.lusteraquatic.com/pond_plants/floating_oxygenating.html.

I also found that there is some kind of discrepancy in the name. It's worth investigating. Since you have the plants and they have flowered, you'll be able to identify them better.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:04 AM

Val,

Thanks for that. You know when I was googling I ran across both those places and I noticed a difference of names. Then I gave up.

Seems vendors can call their plants whatever they want, or hopefully they research and make their best guess?
Even our plant files aren't always correct. So how do we confirm the names?

One of these was referred to as Giant Neptunia and the other as Dwarf Neptunia.

Then they throw in the Oleracea and the Aeschynomene Fluitans.

Now that we have determined these ARE our vines, how do we determine the correctness of their names?

Molly

Molly, that's what I'm looking for right now. I'm not sure yet, I keep finding sites with the
differents names. I don't give up that easy, so I'll keep on looking. If all fails, then tomorrow when I go do my volunteering at the extension I'll ask the agent The PF has a Neptunia aquatica that looks like the Aeschynomene. But then the PF have been wrong at times like you say.
So in the meantime I'll continue my search.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:04 AM

Ok, this is what I have found out so far, the small leaf sensitive seems to be called Neptunia aquatica and the large leaf one Aeschynomene. But again it's not written in stone.

Val

The more I searched the more I found that they have them labeled as above stated. So it seems that's the correct names for both. I will confirm it tomorrow at the extension

This message was edited Jul 27, 2005 5:59 PM

Final note, the one in the picture is definitely Neptunia oleracea because of the different flower. Then the small leaf Neptunia aquatica and large leaf Aeschynomene.Whew, that took for ever.

So Molly, it seems you have 3 sensitive plants.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:05 AM

Val, I remember what you said the other day at Haps house. You are sure a bull dog at getting after the truth of the matter. I know also that you have a better foundation of knowledge on names, derivatives etc.

But I only have 2 kinds of Sensitives, unless you are including the Mimosa in the front yard, but that's a dry ground plant. Then yes, I have three.

I am ready to make a plant files posting now then. Oooo I am so excited, I think this will be my first primary entry.
I shall give you some footnotes, all the hard work is yours.

Thanks Val!
Molly

No problem Molly, I love doing research. Plus, I'm stubborn enough to keep on going until I find an answer that satisfies me LOL.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 12:05 AM

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

This smile is for you both. ;>)
It's kinda like discovery isn't it?
I think Frank's doctor has some red in her front yard. Do you want some. I think it's a very robust plant.
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.