seed starter for nearly free

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I made this about 3 days ago to spite my roommates who constantly chide me for taking all the plastic bottles and tupperware for seed starting. I put seeds in it that day and I wasn't going to post it until I had some sprouts so i could assure myself that it worked. I checked this morning and what do you know! i'm unsure what the sprouts are because a lot of my seed bags were mixed and so i'm just sprouting random seeds recently. Regardless, there are 3 sprouts in 3 days, 2 being some kind of dicot and 1 being some kind of ornamental grass (pink crystals, i think).

All it is is an egg carton with the top cut out and a piece of seran wrap stuck to itself around the edges and thumbtacks to hold the hinge edge since you can't wrap it around. I used premixed seed starter and it sits in an area where it gets diffused sunlight all day. I hope some of you can use this!

Thumbnail by naien

closed:

Thumbnail by naien

the first sprout:

Thumbnail by naien

footnote: there are hols punched in the bottom for drainage and you can float the whole thing in a bucket of water for auto-watering as long as you're not afraid of damping off your seedlings.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Clever! And bottom watering by whatever method is good for helping to avoid damping off, I think. Hmmm, I'll have to go see how well egg cartons will fit in a standard 1020 tray...

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice! Thanks for sharing this :)

Susan

Dickinson, TX

Thanks Naien, that is just the information I was looking for your way sound very inexpensive and easy,once again thanks.

Dickinson, TX

Has anyone in Texas tried to plant and grown a Ocotillo,If so did you have any luck? I live near the Gulf of Mexico about twenty miles north of Galveston and thirty south of Houston. Last year while vacationing in Az. I fell in love with their desert plants especially the Ocotillo,so much I had to have one in my rock garden so I box it up and shipped it home aday before leaving Az. after the plant arrived I planted in the ground with top soil I bought in the bag from the nursery with field sand and gravel which I turned into the clay soil,we have that was a year ago,now it has leaves on one stem I cut back the rest of the stems and discovered it was still green I was afraid it wouldn't survive here in our climax since we have lot of humidity hopefully it will continue to survive. If anyone can give me some advice on keeping it alive and growing I will really appreciate it. Thanks.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Rtskee,
Try this looking for in fo here, http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=Ocotillo&Search=Search
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.