OFA Containers

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

As promised, here are some of our containers we did for the OFA grower and florist convention in Columbus earlier this month. Altogether, we did over fifty big pots.
#1 - Coleus Bronze Pagoda, Diascia Sun Chimes Coral, Iresine Purple Lady and Solanum jasminoides Variegated. For the pictures, I wanted to get a better background than the industrial-looking greenhouse benches. All I had was some cardboard. Now it looks like a warehouse. DOH!
Pay no attention to the stupid cardboard.
Chris

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

#2 - Coleus Brooklyn Horror, Tradescantia Biltmore Bimbo, Torenia Catalina Pink and Peristrophe hyssopifolia.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

#3 - Coleus Big Enchilada, Salvia vanhouttei Paul, Euphorbia Diamond Frost and Calibrachoa Minifamous Pink

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

#4 - Coleus Duke of Swirl, Calibrachoa Million Bells Terra Cotta, Justicia brandegeeana Variegated and Geranium Minicascade Red

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

#5 - Coleus Fishnet Stockings, Heliotrope Fragrant Delight, Scaevola Whirlwind White and Hemigraphis Exotica. This planter was right in the middle of the main concourse. By the end of the show, Fishnet Stockings had been reduced to stubs. Sidney must have been there.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

#6 - Coleus Tiger Lily, Coleus Telltale Heart, Duranta Gold Edge and Laurentia Blue Star. Finally gave up the cardboard.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

#7 - Coleus Grape Expectations, Perilla Magilla, Strobilanthes dyerianus, Centaurea gymnocarpa, Salvia Raspberry Royale, Helichrysum Limelight and Petunia integrifolia.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

And finally, #8 - 'Nothin' But Coleus'
In no particular order: Dappled Apple, Bronze Pagoda, Religious Rutabaga, Lemon Chiffon, Grape Expectations, Copper Glow (aka Rustic Orange), Tabasco, Inky Fingers, Odalisque and Garnet Robe.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, Chris, those are fantastic! I think it would be so much fun to be able to have a huge array of plants to pick from when making pots. All the pots are so very different from each other - were they each made by a different person? I keep trying to choose my favorite but I like 'em all.

What happened to all the pots after the convention? I sure hope they didn't get thrown away.

Next year it would be fun to do a contest with coleus containers (non-coleus plants allowed, too). Your containers are so inspiring! I don't know if we could allow you to enter the contest though. Hmmmmm. Might have to make you the judge. LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They are beautiful. Tiger Lily is a sure winner in my book.

Hap

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

What does happen after all is over? I have never seen so many beautiful coleus is so many different arrangements.

WOW!!

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

The containers are given to the volunteers that help with the convention. We were asked to do these containers about 5 or 6 years ago and have been doing them ever since. They are a big hit with the growers because we feature unusual and underused plants and, of course, lots of coleus. Hopefully, they take these ideas back home with them and use them at their own greenhouses and garden centers, thereby expanding the selection for all you folks.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeh, I bet they keep the goodies just for their closest friends....LOL There are some unusual ones, for sure. I love the way one plant can look so different between growing it in the sun or in the shade. Coleus are like biotanical magicians...LOL

I have two that keep morphing into many other designs....same colors, but totaly different context. These are my two "Weed" coleus...they take over all space...fast.

Thanks again for sharing, Chris. Ah,,,,,the dreams I have...........

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

If Sidney pinched the "Fishnet Stockings" she sure better be ready to share!!!! LOL

These containers are beyond beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing them with us and showing new combinations.

Now, I'm going out and smack a few Coleus around that aren't doing their job!

Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

BTW, my DD, when visiting her last week in Chicago, threatened to report me to the Coleus Cops....I was going all over town pinching their coleus. Trying to be frugel, some of my pinches were not enough and they did not make it. Others...........welll..................heheh

Modi'in, Israel

OMG! They're all gorgeous. Truly works of art in those containers! :-). But Fishnet Stockings in #5 just took my breath away! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing these pics with us :-)

-Julie

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I really like "Fishnet Stockings" She keeps the dark veins. I have Gay's delight that had a lot of dark veins when it was tiny. Now that it is grown up the veins get smaller and less noticeable. But it is still a pretty, bright color.

Thanks for sharing these combinations with us. Makes me want to buy even more, next year. LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

OooooooChris!!! You certainly outdid yourself on these. They are all so beautiful. It makes my brain hurt just thinking of all the combinations for next year. LOL I'll be bookmarking this thread for future reference. Thanks so much for sharing!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well that wasn't me this time darn it.
I'll have to check when I get home to see if I do have fish net stockings.
I have had a wonderful day with bucoos of gardens and I will report tomorrow.
I've been up since 4:30am and am beat.
sidney

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

goodoldbake, fabulous, just fabulous. I, too, am marking this thread for reference.

edited to add: I like pix #2 best because the purple in the wandering jew accentuates the purple stems in the coleus. Note to self: plan a combo using colored stem of one plant as the color basis. talking about echoing!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2005 9:59 AM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful combos, I will also keep track of the thread for next year, I love combo pots. I have never heard of Justicia brandegeeana Variegated.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I was just looking at your website Goodoldbake
http://bakersacresgreenhouse.com/annuals_small_page1.htm
and want to urge you to do mail order.

In our area we have Annie's Annuals
http://www.anniesannuals.com/
and they started by selling to all the local nurseries. I just heard that since they went to mail order last year, they are now going to close down their wholesale side to nurseries and just do online orders. They make so much more per plant.

I see some begonias a few of us need! LOL. Not to mention your huge coleus inventory.

They were just as good this time as the first time. This thread is the one that really got me interested in all the unusual goodies. When is this years OFA Shindig? I have some contractors to apply with in Ohio.
Sidney

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

I finally posted this year's containers. Sorry Kell, no plans for mail order yet.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/632031/

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Chris? How bout a new thread with some new container pics?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh, thanks for bumping this Brinda!

Sigh, it would be heaven to tour Chris' nursery but we can have the next best thing, new pictures!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

My Baker's Acres catalogue came yesterday! Every year I think it can't get better (or funnier), and every year it does. Cris,thank you, thank you, thank you!

My catalogue resides in my bathroom, along with a couple of Dave Barry's books. My guests know they are there, and are frequent visitors to the "facility". The giggles coming from behind the closed door attest to the fact that my friends share my sense of humour. LOL
Pati

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Sue! I've missed you and I hope everything is going well for you!! And please, don't be a stranger around here.

Pati, I sure hope I get a Chris Catalog. I saw the cover on his website and I'm sure it's great. What a sense of humor that guy has!

Stockholm, Sweden

Concerning the new Baker's Acres catalogue: Guess who has a picture of her pretty face in it. LOL.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I've haven't gotten to your pic Alice, for it's slow reading and drooling for things I can't get. It's a riot as usual.

Hap

Chris I'm near, in Flourence, Ky. I guess I should send a few clues as to how to spot a compulsive coleus groomer.
;)

Stockholm, Sweden

Hap,
ok, I understand. Just tell me when you get there and I will explain who is who (in the picture). LOL!
Alice
PS: Understandably, I'm veeeeery proud and honored. Am I a celebrity now?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

of course

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Kids,

Yes I'm alive, barely. Here are some more combos from the archives as requested.

Sugar, I could feel your presence - like a disturbance in 'The Force'.

Alice, You might want to hire an agent. I'm sure you'll get calls.

Patti, That must be what they mean when they say 'bathroom humor'.

Brinda, Hang in there. The USPS takes their good old time with bulk mail.

Hap, Perhaps you should wear a bib when reading the catalog.

BTW, the website is finally updated for '07.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Another one.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

And another one.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

One more.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Last one.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Chris,Chris, Oh Please come back what is the one beside the Dipt'in Wine
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3372345

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

hi georgina,

i'm not chris but i think that's religious rutabaga or combat next to dipt in wine.

chris as usual beautiful coleus... i think i sent yet another request for a catalog- sorry i'm bugging you! i sort of panicked when folks started saying they got theirs already. our PO misdelivers our mail quite a bit... sorry for the intrusion!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.