container gardening gone wrong

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought one of those downunder pots. My first attempt was fuschia and that failed miserably. Then I planted the pink/yellow lantana and after 2 weeks it is finally time to hang. I just need to add a little bit of chain as right now planter is too high. My stepson teases me about all my weird containers. Oh well, who cares what he thinks. Next thing, he'll have one in his apt. It always goes that way.

Thumbnail by vossner
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Nery, I saw that in a catalogue and wondered about it. Keep us posted, I'd like to see if it works out alright. I don't recall, how do you water it, anyway?

Maggie, I just hung it today so haven't watered in this position yet. I guess from the top and the water will just go out thru the big hole in the bottom. I've determined that a xeric (or near xeric) plant is best. less watering, less dirt leaking out. We'll see.

lantana is blooming, so it must like its weird home. have been watering from the top, 2-3 a week, at most.

Thumbnail by vossner
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

sorry, voss, this container idea is too weird for me! lol (-: t.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

works for tomatoes, though!

darius--do you have a pic of the tomato version? t.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

There are lots here on DG... do a search for "upside down tomatoes"

hmmm. Darius, I checked it out. thought I was all alone in my wierdness. What I think I might do w/ my planter is to put a lantana cutting on top. Hopefully as upper plant trails down and lower plant climbs, I'll have more of a "ball" look and the pot will be covered by both plants growing together.

also, other than small tomatoes and peppers, does anybody have suggestions on what other veggies will grow well using this method? I think I'll try it.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2005 5:11 PM

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I planted a tom. last yr. with marigolds on top. made my own container out of plastic bucket. put coffee filter around plant to keep dirt from sifting out. sorry didnt take any pictures . We had 3 of them ,I planted for my 2 daughters. 1 left hers dry up. the wind got the other ones.Mine survived and was a good conversation piece. dixie

if anybody is interested:

www.downunderpots.com

voss, see, being upside down makes your flowers so nervous they wiggle. t.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, this is definately interesting! LOL I did do the upside down tomatoes in a five gallon bucket last year. I have to say, hanging that way, they had absolutely no transplant shock and outgrew and out produced their upright friends, expecially in the beginning. They also stayed very dark green as every bit of food and water goes straight into the plant.

Michele, at Darius' suggestion, I stumbled onto some pic you had posted about your tomato bucket. I think I might try to do a cherry tomato and bell pepper next year. I will be on the lookout for unusual containers I can use for this project. Must continue in my quest for weirdness! LOL

The upsidedown containers are kinda pricey, will be looking for cheaper options.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I did an upside down tomato with petunias on top in a large wire basket. I just cut a little hole in the woven liner for the tomato and it worked great. I've seen the large wire baskets at Big Lots, and I noticed this weekend that Lowe's had some on sale.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I bought 2 of these last year and they are still in the box they came in.I planted alot of begonia tuberosa last year and I had visions of them hanging out of the bottom in all their glory.Well I never got around to it.I like the cherry or grape tomatoe idea.Hope I can get myself in gear to do it next year.They certainly were not cheap.

Kingsland, GA(Zone 8b)

Test

somewhere, PA

I've planted Cineraria & petunias in my upside down bottle.
(Not same year & sorry - no pics) But they were both really
pretty!

Tam

wow, can't imagine petunias. Did they start growing upward?

somewhere, PA

Yep! They just bent around the pot and grew up & outward. Really
pretty! They did fizzle out sooner than the big containers (it seems they
need lots of root room to go through the whole summer. Is that everyone
else' experience?)

Tam

Bellingham, WA

Greetings to all of you who tried to grow plants in this container. I have several and there is a trick to it.

Remember that the soil has to go under the lip? Well , regular sterile potting soil (soiless mix) is too light for this pot. You need a good compost organic soil. Black gold by Whitney farms works great, but I think any really good organic mix would work. Okay. so the trick. Make sure the soil is very damp when you pack the pot. Then water the plant that is going in, add a little more damp soil and let her go.

Excellent results with tomatoes, strawberries, geraniums (martha washingtons) and herbs

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cleotis, thanks for sharing the trick... now you'll have everyone looking for these containers! :-)

critter, here is my source:
www.downunderpots.com

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, vossner! I may have to order some for next year... this year, I think I will just keep an eye out at garage sales now that I know what to look for! ;-)

Bellingham, WA

Glad I could help out.One other thing that I forgot.......When you water these planters, use a very easy spray and water until the water comes out the other end. Then don't water again until it gets almost dry and this may take anywhere from a week to two, depending where you put the plants. Also, very important......match the plant to the pot. Tomatoes go big, strawberries medium, nothing small size.
Let me know how you do and good luck.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Oh, now I couldn't just let this one go by . . . I did a search, and there are a few companies who have this . . . I ended up ordering a small one. Guess I better decide which seeds to start for it!

Bellingham, WA

Okay Syrumani

You need to pick seeds with small root systems, like small annuals, some herbs like english thyme. But you really need to monitor the watering. Since the pots are small the watering n eeds are more. Otherwise the plant just sits there and doesn't do much. Had that happen to me, so I watered more. It worked. Good luck.

Greensboro, AL

Here are my upsidedown tomatos. Personally I think they are too much trouble for the harvest. If you are limited to a small place it maybe worth it. It is a conversatiion peace though.

Thumbnail by Whitewidower
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Well, here it is! I don't know what it is, but I fell in love with the red flowers at HD . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Coleus do very well in these also.
My friend plants them in hers every spring, and they turn and curl and start growing up the sides.
Janet

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Question, how do you keep the dirt from falling out when you turn the bucket over. Do you put some type of cover like maybe a coffee filter around the plant to keep the dirt in, also do you need the lid on top of the bucket? These might be dumb questions but I am very interested in doing this, this year. I have over 400 strawberry plants in my garden and maybe this will do good for them also.

on the one I have, you plant the plant and let it "sit" for a min. of 2 weeks. I let it sit 3. then you hang it. You don't use any type of cover. I guess the root system holds the soil together. I don't even get runoff when I water. The lantana I had ther died and didn't return. So presently I'm trying a coleus. I still have a week to to before I hang it. Will post here.

Bellingham, WA

Hello Vossner and Minihostalover,
Did you use organic soil? Did you pack the soil under the lip of the downunder pot? With Lantana you may have over or under watered the plant, the soil should always be damp but not wet. You only have to grow the plants 7 to 10 days then you can turn it.
I know because I sell these pots both empty and planted. The soil and plant will stay in if you plkant and water correctly.
I hope this helps?
See photo attached.

Cleotis

Thumbnail by cleotis

cleotis that is so totally cool. I didn't have trouble planting or watering. What happened was I left my lantana in the cold and in my zone, sometimes they survive winter, and sometimes they don't when left to fend for themselves. I wasn't a very good lantana mom.

Again, I love your pic.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW Cleotis! Those are really unique pots. I wish I had some place to hang pots. I may need to get hubby to build something freestanding with hooks. Do you sell your pots on-line? Have a website?

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Cleotis,

I'd love to see more of your pots. Both planted and unplanted. I do love unique and unusual stuff. The blues in those pots really grab your attention.

We are about to begin updating some landscaping in the front yard. Perhaps I can incorporate some of these pots into my "scheme" (still pretty much in my head) :-)

Would you possibly consider documenting the planting of one of your fine pots with photos for the benefit of those of us that would like to try this "newfangled" method of gardening? I've heard about it, but never had the nerve to try it. I learn so much faster and more importantly, smarter, if I can see someone experienced doing what I want to learn to do.

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful gardening pots and expertise on the care. I love it!

Janet

Bellingham, WA

Hello Vossner and UniQue Treasures

You are NOT a bad Lantana Mom. Your child didn't wear her galoshes in the wet weather. So try again but don't winter over outside. Bring in. They are great in an unused bathroom with a skylight, or any room for that matter. You should see the geraniums (pelargoniums) turn. woo-hoo. Go for it girl.

and unique, I can try to take shots of what to do, but there are instructions with the pots. Yes I sell on line. Its Grewsomegardens.com but you need to call me about the pots.The website is for the Pelargoniums and hardy GERANIUMS.
I have been a Landscape designer for over 30 years. Be glad to help you out with your pots working in the design.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

cleotis

Thank you for the advice on the down under pots.i have 2 terracotta.Seeing your blue I wish I had ordered that instead.I have had some success with small annuals.Last year I tried tuberous begonias.They did nothing all summer.You are right that I probably did not water them enough.

I will try again with coleus.

Bellingham, WA

Downscale babe

Remember to use organic potting soil. Too light a soil calls for alot of liquid food and watering. The pots get warmer than other pots because they are up in the air and that drys them out faster. Good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.