Pindo Palm from seed

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

OKay, so my pindo palm (Butia capitata) has put out berries. Normally, my dog eats them off the ground before I ever get to them, so I couldn't tell you if they're yummy or anything. I'm told people make jelly out of 'em up here, which is why this palm is also called the jelly palm.

Anyway, I found an uneaten berry on the ground and snagged it before my dog did. Gave it a little taste -- seemed kinda tart. Immediately, I thought, don't eat it! Grow another one!

So I popped the whole berry into a container of soil and gave it some water. It's now in the greenhouse with all the other experiments.

Anybody ever germinate one of these? Should I have done something different? Guesses/bets on how long it'll be before we see a sprout? (if ever?)

Incidentally, I managed to sprout four sagos from seeds, so I can do this too. It took about a year, it seems. I'm that patient... :>)

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Simulate nature I guess. My pindo palms grow their own. The berries drop off and land inside the crevices of the palm where the old leaves had branched off. Inside the crevice is decaying matter. Later on, I find seedlings growing out of the crevices. I get maybe ten to fifteen a year of seedlings like this.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

There you go. I'll just set the little pot of soil outside. Maybe I'll clean out some of the crevices and fill the pot with whatever I find...

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.