Climbing Lily

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

My first blooms. Dozens of buds still to open. I had to share.

Thumbnail by picabo
Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Wow.. that is one FINE lily. Really nice. Great !!!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Where did you find that? That is awesome! Gonna have to find that one!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I bought the tubers at a garden show in Nashville I think that the vendor was Rebeccas in Indiana.
It also called the Gloriosa Lily.
The plant is about 7 feet tall and covered with buds and blooms

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I sooo wish I could grow those here.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Mine grow in pots with a trellis for support. I just cut them down and put them in the dark for the winter keep soil on the dry side. I tried a hanging basket last year but the vines are brittle and they get so long they need support. They grow best in full sun and damp soil.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I really like the glorioso lilies. There are several different colors of these ranging from mostly red, to part red and yellow, to all yellow. I had never noticed until I took this picture that mine get redder as the blooms age. Notice the bloom on the bottom - - even the stamen has turned red.

Picabo, Mine is only about 2 ft. tall.

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sometimes known as Upsidedown Lilies, Gloriosas do well in large pots. Visitors unfamiliar with these beauties are inevitiblely
impressed with their habit, beauty, and form. They reach 6 ft. plus here.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Closer shot.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

jmorth, yours are gorgeous! Out of curiosity, how old are yours?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I purchased 2 tubers about hand size probably 5 or 6 years ago from the Missouri Botanical Garden in St Louis. I now have probably 50 (estimate) whose avg. tuber length (most 'double-legged') is 10 inches.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

picabo and jmorth, both yours are gorgeous! I just got some from a plant friend and they are just starting to open up. How do you overwinter yours, jmorth??
:) Donna

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

jmorth, WOW! I can't wait for mine to grow. I only have 2 tubers I purchased last year. This is my first bloom. I hope that someday they are half as nice as yours.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

At season's end I move the containers into the basement and just let them sit till early spring. When spring starts to show I extract the tubers from their dwelling place, put new soil mix in containers and add the tubers. When its warm enough I move the containers outside. In this hyperlink there is more specific information and a relevant observation: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/526528/

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thank you for the info and the url.
:) Donna

Little Falls, MN(Zone 4a)

Your's are very pretty...never seen the pink...I got my tubers last year and they didn't do much...this year it one stock but loaded with buds...2 open right now...all I can find is the red and yellow around here.

Thumbnail by tyke
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Can you have them in 7a? Will they survive the winter?

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

They are hardy to zone 8b, but they form a tuber that is easily lifted or can be planted in pots that can be brought inside (stored dormant) for the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.