Oriental Lily vs Sweet Pea scent

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I made a bouquet today for my Mother's birthday. There are over 60 stems of sweet peas filling the base of the arrangement and only one Oriental lily in the whole thing but the scent of the lily completely overpowers all the sweet peas. LOL

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow! That is a fantastic bouquet! I'll bet your Mother will be so pleased.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Moby. We live together so she gets to enjoy quite a few bouquets. She has sinus problems so she can't smell much but sometimes the flower scents (brugs and lilies especially) are so overwhelming I can't keep them in the house. LOL She enjoys the sweet pea scent although she can't smell them in this bouqet thanks to the lily! So far that one lily hasn't been too much for her. My neighbors like to keep their upstairs bedroom windows open on warm nights to enjoy the lily scents too. :^)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, I love the idea of sweet peas and lilies together!
What a great looking bouquet!
I love to make bouquets out of the garden flowers. A month ago, I was visiting my parents and took them some dahlias and some sweet peas to my mother. She loved the flowers and the smell.
You sure know how to make a bouquet look good.
Very pretty.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Carol. I can't wait until my dahlias start blooming. They are budding up now.

I am always amazed that the sweet peas keep blooming through the summer here. Our day time temperatures have been in the high 80's to low 90's with lows in the upper 60's to low 70's. The sweet peas used to get some shade from a neighbor's apple tree but the tree was cut down this spring. I was afraid the full sun would be too much but they are holding their own. If anything is going to do them in it will be lack of rain. It has been very dry and I haven't done any supplemental watering. I encourage my neighbor to cut all the flowers she wants from her side of the fence so they will keep blooming.

I really miss having fresh flowers for bouquets in the winter but I just can't afford to buy them. I have to save my money to buy plants and bulbs for the yard! LOL

This picture was taken 2 days ago.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Pretty, pretty, pretty bouquet! That would be something Caroline Rhoeme (sp?) would envy for sure!

I love flowers indoors, too, and I always try to have some during the 'season'--(even in winter I have my amaryllis).

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

That's beautiful :)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is the first year I have grown sweet peas and was kind of excited see them grow. I have learned how how to plant them tho.
How do you plant yours? I found out that I planted them too deep tho. You are to more or less put them on the top of the ground and then just barely cover them with soil. I put mine down an inch. It took awhile for some to come up and there is an area where they never did come up. I planted them in March which is what the nursery guy said to do.
Silly question, but my red sweet peas don't smell like the purple and pink ones, do your red ones smell?
I have my sweet peas in sun up until 2-3 pm against a fence. So I think it is a perfect spot for them.
Yes, I would rather buy plants than flowers in the wintertime.
Carol

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful bouquet! You're Sweet Peas are doing really well for this time of the year. I like to take cut flowers to work, but sometimes the lilies are a little too much indoors. I love the smell, but not everyone does.

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.