What veggies work for fall in FL?

Eustis, FL(Zone 9a)

I had pretty good success with my spring veggies, mostly in containers (my sugar snap peas trellised up a bamboo "teepee" were awesome). However, I have failed miserably at keeping anything alive in this heat. What works well, here in the fall? Especially things that are suited for container growing... Also, when to plant? Wait until it gets cooler?

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Chrissy, Tomatoes work real well here in the fall and spring through early June. Commercial tomato farmers put seedlings in the ground around the third week of August in South Florida.
Art

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I grow all the Cabbage family plants, and radish, and carrot,Swiss Chard, green onions ,Beets,Turnips, and start another planting of Collards.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm glad I nosed in here, tomatoes in August!!! I can hardly wait. I miss picking them off the vine since they quit in late spring.

Art, didja get any of those everglade mater seeds yet? If you want to order a bunch, I'll go in with ya and split the cost.

Molly
:^)))

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Molly. Don't tell me you didn't know they plant tomatoes here beginning in August?
That's why when we have a hurricane here the price of tomatoes skyrockets.
Just forgot to order the seeds. I will share them with you when I get them. Usually they are so easy to grow here, I only put three single seeds each in their own pot.
My standard procedure is to take the best tasting tomato I have on hand late August and plant six seeds from that tomato. I stick them right in the pot all gooey. In about 10 days they are up. I give my friend three of the seedlings and keep three for myself. Three is about all I have room for.
Art

Art,

Nope, I didn't have a clue. I planted mine last Nov or Dec. Just grabbed some plants off the shelf at the Home Depot/Lowes.

Well, that is good news, So the tomato season can be longer then. Hmmm.

Oh gee, back to pulling more weeds out of that corner by the tool shed.

Molly

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

And it's not too late to plant tomatoes in September?

Sue, It's not too late down here, matter of fact it might be a touch early at this point. Still pretty hot.

I started some tomatos from seed and they failed, Artcons gave me 2 seedlings but they are still a bit small to plant out yet. I will probably end up getting some good sized tomato plants from Home Depot as soon as they get some in.

My beans and lemon cukes just now went into the ground. It might be another week or so before I can put my salad stuff and broccoli out there.

Molly

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Have a couple SunGold Cherry Toms planted in May and I just picked and ate the first ripe one today. It was small, tasted sweet. Both plants are leggy since I planted them behind a Brug and some shell ginger to block them from intense summer sun. So maybe try planting seeds next month. :)

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Peppers like it hot. In fact, the lady at the nursery told me that peppers are really just tender perennials, so we can pretty much grow them year 'round in Florida.

I have a gajillion different ultra-hot pepper seeds, including Thai, habanero, serrano, jalepeno, Chili II (Thanks Molly). Holler if you want some seeds.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have Chili Tipin, --If someone wants seed, --Michael

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

I have had a habanero plant now for about 4 1/2 years. It has lived through pure neglect and TLC to neglect and TLC again. This time, I took mercy on the poor plant and put it in the ground after I moved my bananas to the other side of the patio. Now it will do great! It has survived light frost, no water other than what filters through the screened patio. All I ever had to do was trim it back once in a while. I am now looking to put other peppers in the landscape. Friends are surprised when they notice a habanero growing among the other tropicals!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.