Strawflower seeds

Greer, SC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know if strawflowers (Helichrysum bracteatum) have seed pods or if the seeds are inside the dried flowers? I cant seem to find any seeds? Also is there a general rule about determining which plants have seed pods and which produce seeds within the flowers?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Seeds are inside the dried flowers, at the base of the "fluff." I've dechaffed them from the fluff, but haven't harvested the seeds myself from the flowers, so I'm afraid that's all I know...

Greer, SC(Zone 7b)

I still cant find any seeds..........

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry that I don't have any dried flowers or seed with the "fluff" still attached, but here's a picture of what the seeds themselves look like. They're in a 1.5x2 inch envelope. Like a dandilion seed, the strawflower seed is at the bottom of a fluffy thing that I believe comes from the center of the dried strawflower.

Did your dried flowers mature & dry on the plant? If the flowers were picked at their peak and then dried for decorative use, they may not have had time to set & mature their seed.

I hope this photo helps. Maybe somebody else will jump in with a better picture or more information....

Thumbnail by critterologist
Greer, SC(Zone 7b)

I may not have left the dried flower on long enough. It was dead and "crispy" so I pulled it off. Maybe I will leave the others on longer. Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pick also. Now, at least, I know what Im looking for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.