Clumping Bamboo

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Ok Amarylisgal !
In your yard this clumping bamboo didn't look so "big" How big is this clump going to get before it stops :-)

I guess that one little stalk that I took from you a couple of years ago is very happy as it is now huge and growing as I type.

Looking for suggestions on how to control it - if possible.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm so glad it found a good home with you. Bwwahahahaha.....

Ours has slowly swallowed a tea olive and a couple of azaleas, but it took about 8 years. However, a small clump I planted in front of the carport (3-4 years ago?) gets a trim every few months and has stayed within reasonable bounds. I cut down the outside stalks to stay in the desired boundary and it has behaved (so far.) Remember, it's a just a grass. LOL!

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Ok - I'll start trimming - it has almost consumed a cassia tree, some very large rocks, a miniature crepe myrtle and a very large agave. This plant is very happy !!!

Oh, yeah...I forgot we had some big rocks near ours too. Haven't seen them for years...LOL!

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Sounds like a runner type bamboo not a clumper.

Xeri, it's definitely a clumper. It spreads slowly and only along the outside edges. Ours was originally planted over 10 years ago. If it was a runner it would have eaten my yard by now!

Lakeland, FL

My "heavenly bamboo" went bonkers to. Growing so much. I got 3 canes in the winter and they sat there like, well I don't know if i wanna grow or not. Then the rains came and whoosh going up to the heavens about 7 ft. tall now. I wanted that so my nosy neighbors couldn't gawk at me and my wish has come true. I have chineese to and it is so thick, lush and green. Looka like a Budda sitting there. Hagd. Marilynne

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

corky, by "Heavenly Bamboo" do you mean Nandina?
sidney

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Sugarweed - I could be wrong but I think Nandina is called a "false bamboo" and is not really a bamboo.

I've dug out one small clump and have potted and will have one or two pots to trade at my plant trade in October.

Judy

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, it's definately not bamboo, but is refered to as "Heavenly Bamboo", http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=Heavenly+Bamboo&Search=Search It is as hard to get rid of and spreads faster if the birds eat the berries.
Just checking.
sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.