Well, it's not Bergamo!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

It's not bad enough that late freezes & bunnies hit my yard, but 1/2 the lilies that DID bloom, bloomed wrong! This one was supposed to be Bergamo!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Pink Icicles, it ain't!

Gold Band--I don't think so...... These 3 patches of lilies were from 3 seperate sources & all 3 are wrong!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

They look like they're almost identical.

You got it, Honey. Not what I bought, not what I planted.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

pretty though looks like no one knows what they are doing....

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

What were the 3 sources?

Alice's Co-op (Blooming Bulb), Lily Nook and Earl May pre-packaged bulbs at a local store. Something tells me they all bought from the same wholesaler who mixed everything up.
Bloomingbulb is sending me new bulbs in the fall.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

So sorry that you didn't get Pink Icicles. I have it and I think it is my favorite Oriental - maybe even my favorite lily over all.

I'll try again. If daylily & iris people had done this to me 5 years ago, I would have given up early on my garden. Now I just consider it a blip. Come to think of it, I've had better luck on ebay than with these reputable sources.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wanda, your first one looks like llilium Auratum or Goldband to me.
Check out the photos at this site. It can vary a lot. Clicking on the little photos enlarges them. I've had the same problem with my lilies this year. L:(

http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/auratum.htm

Susan

I think the yellow is too narrow to be gold band. more like the generic lillium Auratum.

I think I'll buy from llilyfan when she sells at the Framer's market in the fall--all of the ones SHE traded me were correct. (Although the 600 bulbs she bought & planted last fall mostly bloomed wrong--she has them properly tagged now.)

Well, looks like I'll have a few extra lily bulbs to take to the Kentucky Round Up...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Is that your house foundation behind the lilies Wanda? I love the way the blue looks behind them, even if they are the wrong lilies.

Susan

My house is pale yellow with deep blue shutters and foundation. The porch trim and around windows is white. I thought the blue foundation would calm down, but we're at 4 years on this paint & no fading in sight. Sigh. Not exactly the lily backdrop I expected when I added all those bulbs last fall.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

It's very frustrating is'nt it. I bought 'Visaversa' from Duthch Gardens last year and when they bloomed they were white Orientals. The pic in the catalog showed it as fire engine red, but I found an untouched pic at Brent and Becky's before the replacement came in and it's actually a light red-dusty rose color. So the replacement bloomed correctly, but I still have an empty spot that needs something red or orange- sources make it really hard to plan a color scheme.

Whenever I've bought Gold band lily they've looked like yours-never as dramatically colored as the pics. I think most companies sell seed grown bulbs that vary a lot in color.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think your blue is the perfect background color for your flowers Wanda. I was just looking at a garden in a magazine not too long ago that used that same shade of blue on the chairs and other accents in the garden. I love it there too. Just talked to somone at work last night that is having the same problems with lilies she planted. I'm going to watch for buggycrazies on eBay.

susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I just received my fall lily catalog from B&D Lilies. Got me to thinking, I don't think I have ever received a wrong one from them and I've ordered a number of times.

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.