Celestial event, Perseids meteor shower August 12, 2005

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Celestial event, Perseids meteor shower August 12, 2005
The peak night for the Perseids meteor showers is Friday August 12th this year. This year is supposed to be a good year for viewing. They estimate over a hundred per hour coming in.
Viewing the Perseids meteors just might be the reason you need to take a walk outside and look around your garden late at night to see the moths we all know are out there.
You have plenty of time to plan on getting outdoors with your better half, or invite a few friends over to view the Perseids meteors and perhaps a few moths too.
Put out a small light just outside your field of vision (you should be looking toward the northeast) and you just might see a few moths along with the Perseids meteors.
The meteors will appear to "rain" into the atmosphere from the constellation Perseus, which rises in the northeast around 11 p.m. in mid-August. The weather is great for this type of late night outdoor activity this time of year and the Perseids is one of the best meteor showers of the year.
Art

Lakeland, FL

Thank You, I love them.

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Thank you for letting us know -

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the reminder! I can't tell you how many years we set up with lawn chairs and refreshments only to have it cloud up! But the years it was clear was awesome!
Pati

Pati, one of the advantages of living in Fort Lauderdale is the constant easterly breeze. The sky may not be clear at any particular moment in time, but in a few minutes the breeze moves the clouds and there is a window of opportunity to view meteors.
I enjoy watching meteors so much, I just have to pass viewing information so others might be aware they are happening. So often things we take for granted pass us by because we were not aware of them.
I would not sit around outdoors at night just to view moths, however just glancing around once in a while while looking at the meteors I just might see a few of 'em.
Art

I posted the following in the Hummers & Butterflies forum this morning for clarity.

At the last GT of our local group of Dave's Gardeners "South Florida's Galloping Gardner's" one of the girls mentioned, the last time something like this happened she went out into the Everglades to see it. She was bitten up by misquotes pretty badly.

The point I want to make for folks that have never bothered to look is, these meteors can be easily seen with the naked eye even if living in a "city" environment. They are what we as kids called "shooting stars". If you can see the stars you will easily be able to see the Perseids meteor showers and you should see a bunch of them "rain" in after 11 PM Friday August 12. Get out there and take a look at the Northeast sky. You will see them!
Art

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Each year when I mark the new calander with importent dates I always include the Perseids as well as other showers. When my kids were little we would set the alarm for 2 or 3 and go out to the field with blankets and pillows to watch. We all loved seeing them!

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

That's my birthday! What a great birthday gift! Thanks for the info!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, this is the night! I have a list of wishes made for the shower. Can't waste a single star!
I'm going to remind many.
See if you can keep a count.
sidney

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the bump Sugar. Looks like a great night for it here! I'm going to see if my DS will take a ride over to the beach.
Pati

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Muggy haze and still 85* at nearly 9:30...It's almost foggy looking it's so muggy....well, there's next year.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I think last night was just the peak. But I'm not sure. I too didn't see any.
sidney

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

There were too many clouds here. :-(

Longboat Key, FL

It was crystal clear here, up in New Jersey. Nothing. NADA. I think MARS was that big red blob up in the sky -- but that's all.

imway~ How've you been, John?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Except for it being the dog days of summer, great Brad! :-)

Longboat Key, FL

John:

It's probably been hotter here than in Texas. The car showed 102 degrees in the supermarket parking lot, today. We were down in Florida for awhile in July. It was more pleasant there,

Be well

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I think you are right! It has not been as hot as past years and the grass is still green! However, I have become a sissy. Even though comparitively mild this year, it is still to hot and humid for me.

Longboat Key, FL

Even golf is too hot, most days. Thank goodness for AC.

Be well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.