'Lily Collection' of bulbs? Should I buy?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everybody--

I am relatively new to lilies (and to gardening) but I saw this collection of 'oriental' lilies and liked them ,

http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Item&_recordnum=6516&_category=Website%20Specials

but I'm not sure if these are appropriate for zone 6 semi-sun garden with mediocre drainage.

I would like to plant them among ferns and I don't want them to get too tall...Does anyone know if there is a 'good' success rate on this kind of lily? Are they as pretty as the picture? Or can you recommend a similar but better cultivar to try? Would the 'Orientpet' be a better choice?

I planted 20 'Mona Lisa' last fall and only eight came up. (I wonder if the moles like them or perhaps they rotted?)

Any thoughts? Thank you and 'happy gardening'. t.

Actually, here's the lily that came up...I think it's probably a 'stargazer', no? Also planted martagons but they are 'no shows'....

Thumbnail by tabasco
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Your zone would be just fine for any lilies you care to plant. I don't have experience with Martagons, but I understand they do tend to 'sulk'. Don't give up yet!

For the areas that you want shorter lilies, Mona Lisa is a good choice, as are pixie lilies and many Asiatics, too. And you can extend you lily season further with Trumpets.

The Lily Garden is a great place to start for ideas. http://www.thelilygarden.com/index.html They have their lilies broken down in to many groups ~ by color, type, seasons, etc..

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

You need to handle drainage. Your zone is fine, but drainage must be good. Can be done by mixing compost into the soil.

If you have partial shade (which I suspect since you grow ferns) try the pixie lilies. they grow taller in shade, but are still able to stand on their own.

Orienpets would be very good choice for you in your area. they have large flowers.

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

tabasco: The collection you are inquiring about should do just fine in your area. Pay close attention to the drainage where you plant them. They do not like having "wet feet", otherwise, they will just rot in the ground.. Also, squirrels and a few other 'varmints' do like them and have been known to carry them off.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, you do have 'Stargazer', beautiful.

Yes, you must provide excellent drainage: dig the hole, add compost and a big handful of sand. Water the hole. If the water doesn't go down fast you'll have to add more sand - just dig deeper for the next hole.

Spread the blood meal if you have squirrels or rabbits. Cayenne pepper would be great, in addition.

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Those lilies are as beautiful as the picture. I don't have Dizzy, although it is one of the ones I have been after for a few years, I do have Arena and I think they sent me Mojave in error and they are both my favorites!

For anyone who likes Orientals it's hard not to like them all. Haven't yet seen anything ugly or garish. And that scent.................heavenly, especially on a foggy morning!

Thank you, everyone, for all the good pointers. That's just what I needed to hear. So I will work on the drainage, do something about critter deterrent and go ahead and order the Scheepers Collection and also some Orienpets from Lily Garden, to see how they grow...will post the pics next year!

mvespa, good thing to know that you already grow the collection lilies...I'm glad you think they are pretty.

Thanks again, everyone. t.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I have Arena and Dizzy - both quite amazing. With all the rain this year they are all very tall. Boogie Woogie is taller than me!! must go measure it.

Ohio is perfect for all lilies.

I do love the orient-pets. They grow and multiply like topsy. They are awesome in a clump. Scheepers is a fine OK company to use. Must say I always order from a breeder likeLily Garden though, in the main.

I do pick up bags of packaged lilies towards end of season when they are marked down and usually growing in the bags.
Inanda

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I love the scent of Boogie Woogie. It is a light jasmine with a hint of lemon. Yummy!!

My favorite Oriental is Pink Icicles. Then again, I have rarely met a lily I didn't like. :^)

inanda--good point about buying bags of lilies--(I've always passed over the marked down ones at HD for fear they are mouldy or something, but next time I'll check them out. And before this thread, I always thought Lilies were difficult to grow here.... )

Looked at Lily Garden's (very interesting) site, and maybe their orienpet prices are a little out of my league for a beginner. Do they have sales? And I'll look up 'boogie woogie', NoH20.

Thanks again. t.

NoH20: I agree with you - I've never met an Oriental that I didn't like! They have everything there is to be had in a flower and maybe that's why they're so big with florists.

After many years of collecting three types each year I splurged and bought two big bags of the mixed ones from Dutch Gardens. It's worth it to just put down a chair and stare at them: they are all so glorious!

Once the Japanese irises are gone (my favorite flower) then it's the Orientals that have me in total awe. That's despite the many daylilies blooming at the same time.

If we ever sold this place and moved to the nearby one story condos with a little plot of land I think we'd have two tomato plants and fill the rest with Japanese irises and Oriental lilies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.