have astrantia seeds and questions!

Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

I planted my first astrantia ('Hadspen Blood') this past spring, and I just cut two (dried) flower stalks off. They were packed with seeds. I'm a novice with growing all but the easiest annual seeds, so I'm not particularly interested in trying to grow the astrantia seeds if they are finicky. But if they're easy, I'm willing to give it a try. I have three main questions: (1) are they easy to grow? and, if so, (2) how do I sow them, and (3) when is the best time to sow them? I've separated out the seeds (my first time doing this!) and placed them into envelopes. What next?

Thanks for your advice. I love this little astrantia and would love to grow more of them.

Seed sowing and finiky can be pretty subjective, I've sown some of the reputedly easiest seeds and had poor to no results and sown some of the tough types that have germinated like cress for me. Haspen Blood may not come true from seed but you should get some interesting seedlings.

Astrantia isn't supposed to be terribly difficult but they much prefer to be sown fresh and the seeds sometimes lose viability after a year, they are also slow to germinate so don't expect quick results. In the UK we usually sow them May-July or September-November when they are still fresh and some will flower next year from this sowing, it might be slightly different timing for your climate.

Sow in moist compost on the surface. Keep at room temperature (around 60F) for a couple of weeks and then pop them in the fridge (covered with a clear bag) for about 4 to 6 weeks. Bring them back to room temperature for another couple of weeks and they should germinate. You can go through the fridge to room temperature cycle again if they don't.

If this is too much rigmarole, you could sow them in the garden on the surface and take your chances there, after all if you aren't going to use them in the fridge/room temperature cycle, there's nothing to lose by the 'natural' way :)

Thanks for the info, Baa. I've decided to give both ways a try. I sprinkled some seed in the bed, just on top of the soil, and will repeat this "sprinkling" again in October. With the rest I'll try the "room temp / fridge" approach. (This will be very daring for me -- cosmos, marigolds and sunflowers are more my usual speed!)

You know, I had never even seen (or heard of) an astrantia until DH and I went to England and saw one in a garden we toured. It stopped me in my tracks, and we lingered there, admiring the healthy foliage and the unusual flowers. They just aren't that common over here, although that is starting to change. Lovely plants.

You're someone after my own seed sowing heart! I usually give a couple or more ways a go too, sometimes it's just a case of finding what works for you isn't it.

Astrantia lost a lot of popularity here until the last few years where it's been rediscovered. It's such a tolerant plant and yet never seems to try and take over the borders.

And an astrantia flower is on the cover of the August Gardener's World magazine (or at least the version of the magazine we get over here in the USA).

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

It's also on the cover on the June edition of Horticulture Magazine, with a nice large article inside on it. The article has made me decide to try to find some for fall planting. They are lovely. Dotti

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I got some for the first time this year myself. I love the flowers... and can't wait to see them next year when they start to take off...

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I had astrantia self sow this past winter. My plant is in a boggy area almost, lots of shade with dappled sun. I was really surprised to see those seedlings there this spring. I will dig a few up later and move them around.

Lenjo, Lucky you! I'm hoping mine does the same. The more astrantias, the better!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.