Kudzu Vines

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I will keep this short, I think it's self explanitory. Is there a better way to kill or get rid of Kudzu and Air Potato than sweat and a #2 Roundpoint shovel
"Overgrown in Orlando"

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Heavy-duty Round-up, about once every month.
sidney

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Sheep.

http://www.talgov.com/parks/bia/bia5.cfm

Sheep, shepherds and herding dogs are cheap, eco-friendly and the kudzu is quite nutritious. And the sheep poo fertilizes once they're done munching.

How cool is that?

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

If Round-Up can't manage, try Rodeo. I was told it's a little tougher.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

A friend of mine and an overgrown lot and he borrowed some goats who cleaned it up pretty well.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Having dealt with both, I would rather fight the Kudzu than the air potato. I moved here from Miami over two years ago, and just found one in a potted palm I brought with me! Apparently it had been dormant in the pot and suddenly found it's way to the light. Terrible things!
Pati

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I keep killing mine but on replacing some broken pickets on the back fence, I see the neighbor has let it take over the other side of the fence and it keeps creeping over
Well, I mixed up a secret batch of Roundup and "accidentally" oversprayed my side of the fence.
Jan...

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I've been unwilling to spray roundup on my kudzu because of all of the vines I want to keep. Little trick, time consuming, but really works...round up in an insulin syringe. Inject at the base of the plant 1cc. Within a couple of days, you can pretty much yank them out of the ground and keep any existing wanted plants.

I guess I don't have to tell you to wear gloves...:)

What a great tip! Be sure and MARK that syringe.
Thanks,
sidney

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks "D"
Your idea with the syringe sounds like the best way due to the surrounding foliage. I will give it a try and post the results.
Thanks again
Tim.

That does sound like the thing to do. I'll find a diabetic some where.
sidney

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey, Sidney.

I have a used syringe you can have (no, I'm not diabetic nor a heroin user). The syringe came with a printer cartridge refill kit I bought. It has a larger opening in the metal tube than most hypodermics would have to make it easier to pull ink out of the refill bottle. It should work well for the Kudzu/Potato Vine lethal injections.

By the way... the printer cartridge refill kit for black ink DID work well with no leaking cartridges and a lot of cost savings over buying a new cartridge each time.

Jeremy

Duh! I have several of those. They just didn't come to mind.
sidney

Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I found this interesting site.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pumo1.htm

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I found syringes at the local farm supply in the vet section, just haven't found time to use them yet. Will post the results when I do. The article in the link above is very informative, Thanks to all
Tim.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.